As the Vice Chair of DLA Piper’s US Patent Litigation Group, Matt focuses his patent litigation practice on first-chair representation of his clients in high-tech, bet-the-company litigation in the mechanical, industrial manufacturing, semiconductor, integrated circuit, navigation, automotive, mobile communications devices, power electronics, and communications fields.
Praised by the respected legal directory The Legal 500 US as an "unstoppable force" who is "very reliable for [his] clients but formidable to [his] opponents," Matt has achieved significant courtroom successes for his clients in complex IP cases at the International Trade Commission and in a variety of federal district courts popular with patent plaintiffs, including the District of Delaware, the Eastern and Western Districts of Texas, and the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California.
Matt was also lead counsel in one of the first inter partes reviews filed under the America Invents Act (on behalf of an automotive client) and continues to routinely argue and win IPR hearings at the Patent Trial and Appeals Board.
For many years Matt has been recognized as a leading patent litigator in IAM Patent 1000, where he has been commended for "focus[ing] on the end game from the moment a case is filed, which means he is thoroughly prepared for trial, but equally well placed to end disputes with a business resolution before trial." That publication has also hailed Matt as "proactive and ridiculously diligent” and known for his "magnificent leadership." The Legal 500 US has recommended Matt, who is "truly a pleasure to work with. Always available and always takes a broad view with a strategic, long-term-big-picture outcomes in mind." Law360 praises Matt’s "successful international practice representing some of the world's largest technology companies in major patent litigation."
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School
Symposium Editor, Journal of International Economic Law
Moot Court Board
President, Penn Intellectual Property Group
- B.A., Washington University in St. Louis 2003
summa cum laude
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, Illinois Intellectual Property (2023)
- Band 4, Illinois Intellectual Property (2021-2022)
- "Matthew Satchwell is regularly called upon to represent clients in complex patent disputes, including those before the ITC. He has notable experience acting for technology and manufacturing sector clients." Clients say, "Matt is an excellent team leader of complicated litigation in which a number of defendants are involved."
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Patent Litigation: Full Coverage (2015, 2017-2023)
- Clients note, "His performance of, especially, negotiation with plaintiff’s counsel and kind communication is excellent. He has successful results in every case."
- Recommended, Patents: Licensing (2020-2021)
- Recommended, Patents: Litigation (International Trade Commission) (2016-2021)
Matt regularly gives lectures offering CLE credit on intellectual property, patent and antitrust issues and frequently speaks in the US, Japan and Korea on a variety of topics relating to US patent litigation.
- “How Could an Investigation at the ITC Affect Your Business or Your Clients?” 2013 ABA Annual Meeting, August 2013
- “Post-Grant Challenges Under the AIA: The Strategy and Practice of Litigating Before The Patent Trial and Appeals Board.” Sponsored by the Japan Institute for Promoting Invention and Innovation. April 2013
- "34 DLA Piper lawyers in nine countries ranked among The World's Leading Patent Professionals,'' DLA Piper, October 30, 2019