Matt is the Practice Group Leader/Chair of DLA Piper’s Finance Group which includes a broad range of finance transactions and clients across eight different subspecialties including:
- Venture & Growth
- Sports, Media and Entertainment
- Real Estate
- Investment Funds; and
Matt has spent more than two decades representing banks and private credit funds in structuring and negotiating a wide range of debt, equity and hybrid debt/equity investments.
Matt is a founding member of the Legal Mentor Network, the first non-profit dedicated to mentoring young lawyers and law students, particularly those students from communities who are traditionally underrepresented in the legal industry.
Matt is also a founding board member of the Randy Jones Foundation, a local San Diego charity founded by MLB legend Randy Jones that provides kids from local military families the opportunity to get involved in camps, sporting events, and outdoor activities in addition to providing athletic scholarship for military scholar athletes.
Matt sits on the advisory board of the Kurt Vonnegut Museum and is a regular host committee member and fundraising leader for the Best Buddies, an organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- J.D., Harvard Law School 2001
- B.A., George Washington University 1998
Phi Beta Kappa
John Morgan Award for top Political Science graduate
Golden Key National Honor Society
summa cum laude
- The Legal 500 United States
- 2016-20 - Recommended, Commercial Lending – Advice to Lenders
- In 2011 and 2012, The Daily Transcript named Matt to its list of San Diego County Top Attorneys in recognition of his corporate transactional practice.
- "The Evolution of the Venture Lending Market," Daily Journal, May 22, 2019
- Author, "Is your company ready for venture debt?," DLA Piper, January 2019
- "3 Ways Venture Lending has Changed Since 2000," LinkedIn Pulse, January 22, 2019
- Moderator, Legal Mentor Transactional Bootcamp Series, 2023
- Moderator, "Venture Debt: What Investors Should Know," HFA Hedge Fund Association, June 22, 2021
Civic and Charitable
Matt sits on the board of directors of the John Brockington Foundation and serves on the Host Committee for the annual Best Buddies Hearst Castle Challenge.
Memberships And Affiliations
Matt is a member of the San Diego, California and Federal Bar Associations.