Rachel Taylor has more than 20 years' experience with DLA Piper. She advises listed companies and other public issuers, insurers, trustees, Crown entities, registrars and other corporates.
Rachel advises on structuring, capital raising and funding, and mergers and acquisitions, managing project teams and co-ordinating due diligence and drafting. She also focuses on securities markets and other regulatory and stock exchange compliance, governance and general commercial and contracting issues. Rachel also advises on takeovers (and responses to takeovers) and compliance with the Takeovers Code.
She advises on managed investment scheme design, and the establishment of KiwiSaver and other collective investment schemes, and compliance with financial services legislation.
- Has acted for TOWER Limited for over 20 years, including on its demutualisation through a scheme of arrangement and joint listing on the NZX and ASX, various capital raisings, and advising on the sale of various businesses in New Zealand and Australia.
- More recently has advised on its Reserve Bank approved amalgamation in 2020, and its 2021 agreement to acquire ANZ’s rights and obligations relating to services a portfolio of insurance underwritten by Tower.
- Advised Simplicity Limited on its establishment and entry into the Financial Services sector including advising on the establishment of all funds, including its newly launched build to rent fund.
- Advised Foodstuffs North Island Limited on its 2021 block trade sale of its nine per cent stake in the Warehouse Group.
- Advised Kiwi Wealth trading as Hatch on its role distributing shares to retail New Zealand investors on the US IPO of Allbirds.
- Advised Harbour Asset Management Limited on its acquisition of the Hunter Global Fixed Interest Fund. The fund has over $1billion in assets under management
- Acted for NZ Farming Systems (Uruguay) Limited since its inception, from acquisition of farm assets, management arrangements, and its IPO to raise $150 million and on the subsequent capital raising and listing on NZX. Advised on all aspects of responses to several takeover offers by Olam International.
- Advised Lifetime Income Limited on its registration as a licensed insurer and its related company, Lifetime Asset Management, on its licensing as a Manager of a Managed Investment Scheme and supporting service contracts.
- Regularly advises on the establishment of investment fund structures and contracts with service providers, governance, FMCA compliance and breach responses.
- Advises on M&A transactions, including due diligence, agreements, transitions services arrangements, post completion matters, and warranty and indemnity insurance.
- Advises on drafting commercial contracts for clients in a range of sectors, including insurance and financial services
- LL.B., University of Canterbury, New Zealand 1986
Rachel is ranked in the 2019 Legal 500 Asia-Pacific rankings as a leading individual for both Corporate and M&A, and Investment Funds. Legal 500 describes Rachel as "very strong on investment and superannuation issues”.
Rachel is also ranked as a leading Investment Funds lawyer in the Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 rankings. Chambers noting that Rachel is "seen by clients as the go-to person for guidance on establishing investment funds".
Rachel Taylor was ranked as a Leading Individual for Corporate and M&A in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific rankings 2018, praising Rachel as a "financial and insurance sector corporate specialist".
Rachel was ranked as a Leading Individual for Investment Funds in the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific rankings 2018. She "listens carefully to instructions and works collaboratively to achieve the right outcome". Legal 500 gave particular mention to her acting on behalf of clients Harbour Asset Management and Saturn Invest New Zealand Limited.
Rachel Taylor was ranked as a leading Investment Funds lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017, with Chambers noting that she 'is regarded by clients as "extremely personable and capable of operating at any level." She advises on fund structuring and compliance as well as on NZX listings and investment transactions. Sources report: "She has a very deep understanding of the area."'
Rachel Taylor was ranked as a leading individual for Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017, with Legal 500 noting that she 'goes out of her way to understand clients’ business.'
Rachel was ranked as a leading Investment Funds lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016, with Chambers noting that she is 'highlighted as "commercially minded and very responsive," Rachel Taylor is recognised by peers for her representation of trustees and her experience advising on KiwiSaver and superannuation scheme management matters including regulatory compliance. Sources report: "She is an extremely intellectual operator with a great depth of knowledge."'
Rachel was ranked as a leading Corporate/Commercial lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2014, attracting warm praise from clients for being 'cool under pressure.'
Memberships And Affiliations
- New Zealand Law Society
- Institute of Financial Professionals