Mark D. YuraSenior Counsel
Mark Yura joined the firm in 1979 and concentrates his practice in real estate transactional matters. His clients include institutional lenders, private equity and opportunity fund investors and developers.
He is a member of various housing trade associations, including the National Housing and Rehabilitation Association. He is also active in numerous bar-related groups, including the Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association, and the Affordable Housing Forum of the American Bar Association.
- J.D., University of Michigan 1978
- B.A., University of Michigan 1975
with high honors
Based on peer and client reviews, Mark has been selected as one of America's leading real estate lawyers by Chambers & Partners, a respected English research firm. He has been designated an Illinois Super Lawyer in Real Estate, as the result of research projects conducted jointly by Law & Politics and Chicago magazines. Mark was also named to The Best Lawyers in America and Illinois Super Lawyers.
Mark co-authored the Chicago Bar Association "Legal Opinions in Secured Real Property Transactions" which is the definitive legal opinion used in Illinois. He also was a member of the ABA Subcommittee that prepared the Real Estate sub-accord for use in conjunction with the so-called "Silverado" opinion. He is a frequent speaker before trade and professional groups on matters of state and federal legislation, multi-family housing financing, and commercial real estate lending topics.
- Author, "The Cannabis Industry and the Real Estate Lawyer – Not Quite Groovy Yet," The ACREL Papers, November 2021
- Author, "Commercial Real Estate: Financing and Transactional Issues 2021 edition," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, August 2021
- Co-author, ""It Takes Two" - Selected Topics in Programmatic Joint Ventures," The ACREL Papers, March 2021
- Author, "COVID-19 and the Real Estate Sale Agreement — The Post-Closing Rent Collection Problem," The Real Estate Finance Journal, October 2020
- Co-author, "Liquidated Damages in Purchase and Sale Agreements: Illinois and Massachusetts," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, May 2020
- Author, "Liquidated Damages in Illinois Commercial Real Estate Purchase and Sale Agreements," ACREL News & Notes, 2019
- Author, "Sponsor Promotes and Related Considerations," ACREL News & Notes, December 2018
- Co-author, "Trends in US Housing," 10 September 2018
- "Buying an Apartment Building? Here's How to Protect Yourself from Delinquent Rent.," GlobeSt (May 20, 2020)
- "HUD, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Mortgage Loan Opinions: Do I really have to give that opinion?," 21st Annual Spring Symposia, American Bar Association (May 7, 2010)
- Advisory Committee of The John Marshall Law School Graduate Program in Real Estate Law (2004‑2010)
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- National Housing and Rehabilitation Association
- Affordable Housing Forum of the American Bar Association
- Member and past Chairman (1996-1997), Executive Council of the Chicago Bar Association Real Property Law Committee
- Past Chairman (1991-1993), Chicago Bar Association Real Property Finance Law Subcommittee
- Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association
- Member of American College of Real Estate Lawyers - Former Chairman of the Equity Investment Structure Committee