Shabaz AhmedSenior Associate
Shabaz is a Senior Associate in the Corporate Crime, Investigations and Financial Services Regulatory group, with experience of acting in financial services regulatory (advisory, transactional, and contentious), corporate crime, and investigations matters for both corporates and individuals.
Areas of FocusFinancial ServicesInsurance
Professional QualificationsSolicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Acting for the former CEO of a large British bank in a fraud investigation and prosecution brought by the SFO relating to capital raisings during the financial crisis. Client acquitted.
- Acting for an AIM quoted energy company in an internal and FCA investigation following discovery of accounting irregularities. Achieved a “no further action” result for the client.
- Acting for a company in the consumer credit sector in a contested FCA authorisation application. Involved from the Minded to Refuse letter to successful outcome at the Regulatory Decisions Committee.
- Acting for two former senior executives of a large British-headquartered bank as part of an investigation into arrears handling during the financial crisis. Achieved a “no further action” result for both clients.
- Acting for a building society in multiple FOS disputes arising out of the decision to unilaterally remove an interest rate cap on standard variable rate mortgages. A negative decision by FOS could have cost the building society c.GBP10m per annum. Achieved positive decisions for the client.
- Acting for the London branches of two Indian headquartered banks in respect of the UK aspects of an Indian government ordered merger.
- Acting for a large corporates services group on its acquisition of the European mortgage servicing business.
- Acting for the seller of a company holding a portfolio of non-performing loans.
- Acting for a challenger bank on their Brexit planning across over 20 jurisdictions.
- Acting for the London Stock Exchange Group in various matters, including on secondment to the Government Affairs and Regulatory Strategy group, and providing regulatory advice as part of post-acquisition integration planning.
- Advising firms on various financial services regulatory matters, including anti-money laundering and the combating of terrorist financing, the regulatory perimeter, outsourcing, and financial promotions amongst others.
- BPP Law School, LPC, 2014
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment, Level 3 Securities, 2013
- King’s College London, Law, 2012
- Global Investigations Review: International Enforcement of Securities Laws - Chapter on Privilege Issues in Cross Border Investigations
- Journal of International Banking and Financial Law - Regulatory Enforcement and Privilege – Waiver, Content, Cherry-Picking
- Journal of International Banking and Financial Law - UBS v Rose Capital Ventures Ltd: Good Faith and Braganza
- Journal of International Banking and Financial Law - Mis-selling of interest rate hedging products - public law will not aid private law claims
- Prior experience in regulatory compliance in a mid-cap stock-broking firm, 2013 - 2015
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment, Level 3 Securities
+44 (0)113 369 2055
+44 (0)778 933 6574