Larissa S. BifanoPartner
Larissa S. Bifano concentrates on patent and other intellectual property strategy, counseling, prosecution, diligence, and litigation in the United States Patent and Trademark Office and federal courts. She also leads the firm's team that focuses on efforts to assist companies as they navigate the legal landscape of emerging and disruptive technologies, while helping them understand the legal and compliance risks arising from the creation and deployment of AI systems.
She works with clients in diverse industries nationally and internationally to determine and execute a comprehensive IP strategy to address the client's needs in whatever situation or forum.
Larissa works with numerous clients in the following industries and technologies: clean technologies, including battery systems, solar, alternative energy, wind power; computer technology including artificial intelligence, software, computer databases, solid state devices and wireless positioning systems; medical technologies, including cancer treatment therapies, health and fitness monitoring and implantable devices; and various other technologies including nanotechnology, semiconductor processing, light-emitting diodes, optical systems, cellular networks, and options trading.
Representative engagements include:
- Advised numerous technology companies on patent offensive and defensive strategy
- Counseled numerous start-up companies on patent strategy
- Lawyer in Residence at the Rock Center for Entrepreneurship at Harvard Business School
- Prosecuted numerous patents for many significant semiconductor and telecommunications companies
- Prepared and prosecuted numerous inter partes review (IPR) proceedings addressing patent validity
- Chambers USA
- Band 4, Massachusetts Intellectual Property (2023)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Leading Lawyer, Patents: Licensing (2023)
- Leading Lawyer, Patents: Prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings) (2023)
- Recommended, Intellectual Property Patents: Licensing (2021)
- Recommended, Intellectual Property Patent Litigation: Full Coverage (2019-2020)
- Recommended, Intellectual Property Patents: Licensing (2020)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly – Go To Lawyers IP (2021)
- Nine DLA Piper lawyers recognized by BTI Consulting Group for superior client service, December 2020
- "Top 50 Women in PTAB Trials," PTAB Bar Association, October 11, 2019
- Quoted, "Breaking Down The Proposal For A Patent Eligibility Revamp," Law360, May 29, 2019
- "DLA Piper Announces New Artificial Intelligence Practice," Law360, May 15, 2019
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Philip Morris International Inc. on the completion of its US$16 billion...
14 November 2022 .3 minute read