Christopher R. StambaughPartner
Chris Stambaugh advises public and private real estate funds on corporate and securities matters including fund formation, public securities offerings, private placements, tender offers, joint ventures, corporate governance and ongoing securities law compliance.
Chris focuses his practice on non-traded REITs and in particular NAV REITs. Chris has led numerous offerings and other matters for programs sponsored by Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, Ares/Black Creek Group, CNL, KBS Capital Advisors, Pacific Oak, Behringer Harvard, Walton International and Wells Real Estate Funds, among others. In 2011, Chris began working with Ares Real Estate Income Trust Inc., helping them convert to an NAV REIT when the structure was new, and has helped them become a leader in the NAV REIT space. Chris also advises Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, Inc. with respect to their ongoing NAV REIT offerings. Chris is currently working with a number of other sponsors interested in launching NAV REITs. Chris has been very active with clients and regulators in developing new offering structures with multiple classes and trail commissions, as well as customized share redemption programs and improved valuation procedures and disclosure.
- Represented Ares Real Estate Income Trust Inc. with its transition to an NAV REIT and launch of a perpetual NAV-based offering
- Represented Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, Inc. with its launch of an NAV REIT
- Represented Monogram Residential Trust during its non-traded REIT offering stage and in connection with its transition from a non-traded REIT to an NYSE-listed REIT
- Represented Pacific Oak Strategic Opportunity REIT, Inc. during its non-traded REIT offering stage and potential conversion to an NAV REIT
- Represented Pacific Oak Strategic Opportunity REIT, Inc. in its acquisition of Pacific Oak Strategic Opportunity REIT II, Inc.
- Represented numerous other private and public real estate funds sponsored by CNL, KBS Capital Advisors, Pacific Oak, Behringer Harvard, Walton International and Wells Real Estate Funds, among others
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law 2003
- M.E., Duke University 2000
- B.E., Duke University 1997
- The Legal 500 United States
Recommended, REITs, 2019
- Best Lawyers, Real Estate Law, 2023
- Author, "Net Asset Value Real Estate Investment Trust Valuations: The Role of Third-Party Valuation Experts," The Real Estate Finance Journal, Fall 2023
- Co-author, "What Are NAV REITs? Answers to Some Frequently Asked Questions," The Real Estate Finance Journal, Fall 2022
- Speaker, "Non-Traded REITs" session, E&Y REIT Conference 2022
- Panelist, "Non-Traded REITs; BDCs; Preferred Stock Offerings: Innovation; Daily NAV REITs; Conversions & Market Outlook," 13th Annual Western Non-traded REIT & Retail Alternative Investment Symposium, December 2017
- Panelist, "Regulatory Update," 14th Annual The New York Non-Traded REIT & Retail Alternative Investment Symposium, New York, June 12, 2017
My latest insights
Net asset value real estate investment trust valuations: The role of third-party valuation...
2 November 2023 .1 minute read
NAV REIT valuations: The role of third-party valuation experts
31 May 2023 .21 minute read