Christian Temmel has extensive experience in corporate, capital markets and securities law, including related regulatory law, with a special focus on capital markets transactions (debt and equity), M&A transactions and corporate restructurings.
Christian heads the capital markets and public M&A practice as part of the Corporate practice in Austria and regularly advises clients in his focus areas on national and international matters and transactions.
Christian is a lecturer of corporate and securities law at the University of Vienna and of capital markets law at the Danube University Krems and the University of Applied Sciences – Austria on the campus of Wiener Neustadt.
- Advising Chinese listed Jiecang Group on its EUR 80 million acquisition of Austrian headquartered international Logicdata Group.
- Advising Vienna-based real estate developer UBM Development on the successful placement of the first retail sustainability-linked bond in the Eurozone. The demand for this sustainability-linked Bond was extremely high, the volume of the bond was increased from EUR 125 million to EUR 150 million, and the books very closed within hours.
- Advising Vienna-based real estate developer UBM Development on the successful placement of its first EUR 100 million sustainability-linked subordinated bond.
- Advising PORR AG as issuer in the course of a EUR 125 million capital increase by way of a rights offering and a rump placement - the only public subscription rights offering of shares under the Prospectus Regulation in Austria in 2021.
- Advising PORR AG on the issuance of a EUR 50 million hybrid bond with simultaneous exchange offer (tender offer) for the hybrid bond for the EUR 125 million hybrid bond 2017-2022.
- Advising Erste Group Bank AG (in its capacity as underwriter and sole global coordinator) as underwriters' counsel on the EUR 50 million green bond issue of S IMMO AG under the EUR 300 million issuance program of Austrian listed S IMMO AG.
- Advising Caroo Mobility GmbH, a sustainable car sharing start-up, on the issuance of the Eloop token. The Caroo Token is used to purchase e-vehicles of the Eloop car sharing fleet, investors get the opportunity to also use the e-cars themselves with the investment.
- Supporting UBM Development in an exchange offer for old bonds and the parallel issue of a new EUR 120m bond: this was the first capital market transaction to be carried out with a prospectus based on the new European prospectus regime.
- Advising Schoeller-Bleckmann Oilfield Equipment AG and acting as independent proxy together with three other law firms and the Investors' Association (Interessensverband der Anleger (IVA)) at the general meeting of Schoeller-Bleckmann Oilfield Equipment Aktiengesellschaft - the very first ever virtual general meeting of a listed company in any German-speaking country.
- Advising Warimpex on the establishment of a share buyback programme, which included inter alia, the preparation of the required resolutions by the shareholders' meeting, the corporate resolutions by the management board and the supervisory board, the buyback terms, the preparation of the required pre-start publications, as well as the documentation for the on-going reporting.
- Advising Erste Group Bank AG, SEB, Credit Agricole and Deutsche Bank in their capacity as joint lead managers and dealers for the EUR 500m bond issuance under the EUR 1bn debt issuance programme by voestalpine AG.
- University of Oxford, Said Business School, MBA, 2004
- University of Vienna, Dr. iur., 2001
- University of Vienna, Mag. iur., 1996
- "Christian is smart, always searching for solutions, and has a strong commercial understanding.“ Chambers, 2023
- "High level of legal knowledge and practical experience. He is exceptionally reliable and loyal and his argumentation in all written work is linguistically clearly formulated and therefore extremely time-saving; which in turn leads to cost savings." Chambers, 2022
- “Reliant, extremely knowledgeable, solution-driven, broad experience.” Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
- “Christian Temmel leads the team; excellent services delivery. Goes the extra mile.” Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
- "He has an impressive, well-founded knowledge of the law and at the same time applies a hands-on and solution-oriented approach." Chambers, 2020
- "He is a very knowledgeable and co-operative person and knows what's going on." Chambers, 2019
- "Very experienced and very high quality of work done, reacts very quickly to every new query, reliable partner in all legal topics surrounding capital markets." Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
Christian Temmel regularly speaks on capital markets, corporate and takeover law at expert seminars and conferences, and is the author of many books, articles and papers, including:
- Kommentar zum GmbHG (Commentary on the Austrian Act on Limited Liability Companies) (co-author), Linde Verlag, 2018
- Handbuch Wirtschaftsverträge (Handbook Business Agreements) (co-editor and co-author), 3,504 pages, LexisNexis, 2012
- Kommentar zum Börsegesetz (Commentary on the Austrian Stock Exchange Act) (Sole editor and co-author), LexisNexis, 2011
Prior to cooperation with DLA Piper, Christian worked with another renown business law firm in Austria and as a teaching and research assistant at the Faculty of Law of the University of Vienna.
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Lanvin Group on USD1 billion de-SPAC merger to go public on New York...
21 December 2022 .3 minute read
Best Lawyers and Handelsblatt recommend 10 partners from DLA Piper Vienna
23 June 2022 .2 minute read