Our recent experience includes:
- Defending parent company liability claims in the English High Court and Court of Appeal (permission for the Claimants to appeal to the UK Supreme Court refused), involving submissions as to English, Australian, Canadian and Kenyan Law. This included advising on crisis management and public relations issues regarding on-going advocacy campaigns, media and press inquiries and investigative reports and responses to criticism raised in international fora, including at the UN.
- Acting in the defence of claims brought by many thousands of foreign plaintiffs under the United States Alien Tort Statute. This case is one of the most significant business and human rights cases in recent times because it clarifies the law in relation to whether claims can be brought by foreign plaintiffs against corporations under the United States Alien Tort Statute.
- Acting for a major brand in relation to several claims of illegal acts of human trafficking alleged to have occurred on their branded properties. We are also advising on policies and practices around human trafficking, including vigilance plans, education, training of team members, and coordination with local, state, and national organizations.
- Acting for a European Consumer Goods Multinational Retailer in arbitration proceedings against one of their Chinese suppliers because it was found during an unannounced audit inspection that the Chinese supplier’s factory was using child labour.
- Acting for a number of client in relation to complaints before the UK and Dutch National Contact Points.
- Advising a global sustainability association on the re-design of a novel grievance mechanism.
- Advising numerous project sponsors in negotiations with Indigenous Peoples in connection with mining, energy and infrastructure development projects.
- Advising numerous project sponsors and financiers in relation to the application of the Equator Principles and IFC Performance Standards to the project financing in relation to mining, energy and infrastructure development projects.