DLA Piper advised on 27 significant foreign transactions in 2014 on behalf of Israeli institutional investors and companies, as well as foreign investors and acquirers, with an aggregate value of more than US$2.5 billion. Demonstrating the firm's strong real estate, M&A, private equity and venture capital capabilities throughout the world, coupled with its presence and engagement in the Israeli market, the deal highlights included:
- Several M&A transactions that collectively exceed US$750 million, including Israel Chemicals Ltd.’s (ICL) acquisition of the Hagesüd Group; ICL’s footwear business divestment to Findos Investor; ICL’s water, paper, and alumina businesses divestment to Kurita Water Industries Ltd.; Perion Network Ltd.’s acquisition of Grow Mobile Inc.; Stratasys’ acquisition of GrabCAD; John Deere Water’s sale to Fimi Opportunity Funds; International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.’s acquisition of Aromar Flavors & Fragrances; Tower Semiconductor Ltd.’s joint venture with Panasonic Corporation; and Qualcomm’s acquisition of the Israeli operations of CSR.
- Ten real estate acquisition or financing deals spanning the US, UK and Germany for a total in excess of US$1 billion. Most of these transactions involved representing Israeli institutional investors.
- Three Israeli venture capital fund sponsors in the formation of four new venture funds with an aggregate amount of over US$300 million.
- Teddy Sagi Group’s raising of US$156 million for Camden Market’s IPO on London's secondary stock market, the Alternative Investment Market.
- Seven different foreign fund investments on behalf of Israeli insurance companies and pension funds totaling approximately US$450 million.
The increase in Israeli-US transaction volume follows DLA Piper's strategic decision to develop a global Israel practice nearly six years ago, led by partner Jeremy Lustman, who spends most of his time in Israel and oversees a significant number of key relationships covering virtually all sectors of the Israeli economy. The firm currently represents more than 140 clients in Israel and has advised Israeli companies and investors across more than 35 different jurisdictions.