Our Immigration Law Practice Group has proudly provided immigration advice to Canadian and international clients for over 35 years. As a leading global firm and with offices across Canada, we provide our clients with high-quality advice and a broad range of Canadian immigration services.
Companies carrying out business in Canada often require foreign senior executives, senior managers, professionals, specialists and other skilled workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages or critical positions. The experience, gained by acting on hundreds of applications per year, provides us with the knowledge and insight necessary to formulate and implement immigration strategies that best suit our corporate clients’ needs.
Considering the importance of strategic global mobility in the context of a global economy, we assist companies and individuals in providing tailored immigration solutions in a wide range of industries, including alcoholic beverage, cable, construction, energy, film and camera, hotel services, import and export, lumber, manufacturing, mining, oil and gas, shipping, technology and trading.
Our group members provide ongoing immigration services for some of Canada’s largest companies. They also lecture in various forums and consistently publish articles on the latest developments in immigration law. Our group members have significant immigration experience: having served in executive positions with the Canadian Bar Association (“CBA”) National Immigration executive and the CBA British Columbia Immigration executive; are recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada, Lexpert and Martindale Hubbell; and are authoring chapters in legal books.
Our key immigration services include:
- preparing work permit applications under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, including Labour Market Impact Assessment applications;
- preparing work permit applications under the International Mobility Programs, including work permit applications under the Intra-Company Transferee (“ICT”) category, the North American Free Trade Agreement (“NAFTA”), the General Agreement on Trade in Services (“GATS”) and other international agreements;
- preparing applications to obtain business visitor status and other exemptions from work permit and Labour Market Impact Assessment (“LMIA”) requirements;
- assisting in the context of compliance reviews;
- drafting and reviewing employment contracts for temporary foreign workers;
- drafting and reviewing internal policies for employers;
- assisting with the recruitment and evaluation of foreign candidates;
- counselling in the performance of due diligence and in the context of corporate restructurings and mergers and acquisitions;
- preparing permanent residence applications under federal economic immigration programs as managed by the Express Entry system (e.g., Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Provincial Nominee Program and Canadian Experience Class);
- preparing permanent residence applications under Provincial Nominee Programs;
- preparing permanent residence applications under Québec business immigration programs (e.g., Québec Investor Program, Québec Entrepreneur Program and Québec Self-Employed Worker Program) and the Québec Skilled Worker Program, including applications for foreign nationals selected under the Québec Experience Program;
- preparing permanent residence sponsorship applications of eligible family members;
- preparing study permit applications;
- preparing visitor permit and visitor visa applications;
- preparing citizenship applications;
- assisting in enforcement-related matters to deal with inadmissibility issues (e.g. restrictions based on previous criminality, health grounds, etc.); and
- appeals to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada and the Federal Court of Canada.