DLA Piper’s Transportation Law practice has extensive experience advising and representing clients in all aspects of law relating to the transportation industry. We advise both foreign and domestic clients regarding transportation law, including purchases, sales, leasing or financing of aircraft or transport equipment, border security compliance requirements, and tax, customs and export controls issues as they relate to the aviation and transport sectors.
We have advised extensively on mergers and acquisitions in the transport sector and have a proven track record of successfully obtaining pre-merger clearances under Canada's competition, foreign investment and transportation legislation.
Our experienced transportation law lawyers are supported by the firm's extensive skills in areas of competition law, insolvency, litigation, technology and Internet transactions, and employment and labour law, as well as transportation infrastructure development.
Among our clients are air carriers, leasing companies, financiers, underwriters, international air and ocean freight forwarders and highway carriers, as well as warehouse and logistics services providers. We also advise manufacturers, producers, resource sector stakeholders, and exporters and importers of goods moving globally, whether by air, ocean vessel, rail, truck or inter-modally.
The Transportation Law team provides advice and representation to clients in the following areas:
For more information about our aviation expertise, please visit our Aviation Law page.
We provide legal advice in all aspects of the ground transportation industry and act for numerous international and Canadian trucking companies. We advise and represent several national and international vehicle credit and leasing organizations and automotive dealers. With respect to public transportation and infrastructure initiatives, we advise public transportation authorities and have acted for large infrastructure companies and financing companies on several bridge and highway public-private partnerships.
Specifically, we have:
- Acted as counsel to the Canadian Finance and Leasing Association and several of its members;
- Advised the Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority on the Gateway infrastructure program, various commuter services, and real estate requirements;
- Advised a worldwide global logistics ground transportation provider based in Asia; and
- Acted as Canadian counsel to the U.S.-based International Warehouse and Logistics Association.
Our commercial and litigation marine law practice includes the following services:
- Advice to insured and insurers regarding marine insurance policy coverage issues including, ship collisions both at sea and with respect to shore-based facilities;
- All types of maritime commercial contracts, including shipbuilding, charter party, insurance and freight forwarding contracts;
- Maritime bankruptcies and insolvencies;
- Tax advice as it affects the shipping and marine industries; and
- Advising passenger cruise shipping lines with respect to tax and customs compliance in connection to operations in Canadian waters.