What is PROTECTTM?
PROTECTTM is our unique DLA Piper service that stress-tests your brands and gives you peace of mind that they are fit for China.
The risks of the China market for brand owners
China is increasingly seen as a key market for brand growth. Brand owners frequently fail to develop and execute an appropriate strategy for establishing and enforcing their trademark rights in China, leaving them open to:
- Attacks from trademark pirates.
- Encroachment from business competitors.
- Supply chain disruption.
- Challenges with effective enforcement.
These risks can be mitigated by:
- Registering your brand in China.
- Devising and registering a Chinese equivalent for your brand in China.
- Registering your brand widely and giving consideration to China’s unique sub-class system.
- Protecting your brand holistically by making other IP and regulatory filings in addition to filing for trademark protection.
What PROTECTTM can offer you
Our PROTECTTM service involves a thorough analysis of your existing Chinese trademark portfolio and how you use your brand in China.
We will then produce a report which will detail the following:
- class and sub-class deficiencies in your existing trademark portfolio: highlighting marks which are registered in China but which do not have sufficiently broad class and sub-class coverage;
- missing registrations: highlighting marks which are being used in China but which are not registered in China; and
- looking forward: highlighting brands which are not being used in China but which you may have plans to use in China and which are not registered.
Our report will then detail a list of actions we would recommend you to take to strengthen your brand protection in China. Using our PROTECTTM service report, you will be able to quickly and easily choose which recommendations you would like to follow.
Our PROTECTTM services gives you complete visibility of the strength of your trademark portfolio in China and peace of mind that your brand will not unwittingly be vulnerable to attack from brand pirates.
For more information, please contact any of the specialist trademark lawyers listed below or your usual DLA Piper contact.
|What is PROTECT
||When West goes East
||Lost in translation
registrations in China
|What is worth copying is