DLA Piper has been named Insurance Law Firm of the Year at the 12th annual China Law & Practice (CLP) Awards ceremony, which took place in Beijing on 13 September.
The CLP Awards are one of China’s most prestigious legal awards ceremonies, celebrating ground-breaking deals, precedent setting cases and top quality practitioners. The CLP Awards recognizes law firms, lawyers and in-house counsels for their creative and outstanding work in China. Winners are chosen based on their ability to incorporate novel and progressive legal structures, create new case law and consistently excel in their practice areas.
Roy Chan, managing partner of the DLA Piper office in Shanghai and head of the firm's Insurance practice in China, said: "We are very pleased and extremely proud to have received this prestigious award. This accolade is a reflection of the trust our clients place in us and it's a testament to the whole team's hard work."
The DLA Piper Insurance team has extensive experience in advising on all aspects of transactional, litigation, regulatory and commercial matters, competition law, restriction and reorganisations, emergency response, employment, tax, intellectual property, data protection and real estate matters as they relate to insurance companies and other financial institutions.
The team regularly advises Chinese and multinational insurance companies in the region. Recent significant transactions in which DLA Piper has had a leading role include:
- Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China, Ltd. and its subsidiary Ping An Healthcare and Technology Company Limited (Ping An Good Doctor), on matters relating to Ping An Good Doctor's successful IPO on the main board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange with whole company valued at US$7.5 billion
- Ping An Insurance Group, on its alliance with Tsumura & Co., a leading Chinese medicine manufacturer listed in Japan
- Aetna Inc., on its acquisition of Bupa Group’s Thai business, Bupa Thailand
- CVS Health and Aetna Global Holdings, on the regulatory aspects of their merger
- Peak Reinsurance Company Limited (Peak Re), on its acquisition of 50% stake in NAGICO, leading Caribbean insurance group, as well as its 13.1% investment by Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Ironshore Insurance Limited, on the underwriting processes for providing warranty and indemnity insurance for multiple Asia M&A transactions