With an integrated team of local and international lawyers based in Beijing and Shanghai, our China restructuring team has deep knowledge of local laws and practices and the Chinese mindset. This is coupled with our experience of working with clients from the United States and Europe on local and cross-border restructuring and insolvency matters to ensure we provide our clients with a broad service offering at both a national and international level.
Our clients value our pragmatic and novel approach to handing both contentious and non-contentious transactions. Our leading position among international law firms operating in China means that we are able to draw on specialist expertise and experience from our other practice areas.
Our restructuring team in China is part of our Global Restructuring Group, which is one of the world's leaders. With dedicated restructuring lawyers across the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East, we have the knowledge, experience and resources to address our clients' restructuring and insolvency needs on a national and international basis. Around the world, our specialist restructuring lawyers 'on the ground' have extensive knowledge of local markets and the associated challenges our clients face.
We serve a diverse client base encompassing financial institutions, financial advisors/accountants, corporates, private equity funds, shareholders, distressed debt funds/investors, and bondholders/loan note holders. We counsel clients on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency/bankruptcy, whether in anticipation of them or in dealing with their consequences.
We advise clients on:
- Debt and asset tracing and recovery
- Disposals, including pre-packaged solutions, distressed M&A and real estate workout
- Formal insolvency/bankruptcy procedures and creditor committee representation
- Insolvency/bankruptcy-related investigation, litigation and enforcement
- International restructuring strategy and procedures
- Operational restructuring and advisory
We advise clients across a wide range of industry sectors and have particular strength in energy, financial services, life science, hospitality and leisure, real estate, retail, sports, technology and transportation.
Some significant restructuring matters we have recently worked on include:
- Trident Microsystems – Advising on the restructuring of Trident Microsystems Inc., a leader in the digital home entertainment market, across Asia, including in Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea and Japan, as well as in the United States and Europe. We assisted Trident in relation to the transfer of its China business to acquirers, the liquidation of its Chinese entities, and transfer of employees and the settlement of outstanding employment claims. The 2013 M&A Advisor International Awards honoured us with the 'Corporate/Strategic Acquisition of the Year' (over US$50 million to US$100 million) for the sale of Trident Microsystems.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation – Advising Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on the global restructuring of United Commercial Bank.
- Prince Sports – Acting for Authentic Brands Group on the restructuring of Prince Sports Inc., a sports goods manufacturer that distributes its products in over 100 countries, and its related subsidiaries across Asia, including China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, the United States and Europe.
- Solar Enertech Corp – Advising on the restructuring of Solar Enertech Corp, a US-headquartered solar product manufacturer with Asian operations in Hong Kong and Shanghai.
- ZST Digital Networks – Acting for the receiver of ZST Digital Networks Inc., a NASDAQ-listed company with operational assets based predominantly in China. This case was followed closely by the financial press and involved a US investigator being granted an usual remedy by the court, whereby a receiver was appointed with the power to seize company assets in order to repay a debt of US$32 million owed to the investor. We were retained to act for the receiver in relation its recovery strategy.