Whether a private or public economic organization, large group, French or a foreign firm, bank or a financial company, your interests need to be supported by legal knowledge and a solid understanding of strategic issues. This requires both a broad and an innovative approach to navigate the complex and sometimes conflicting relationships between companies, as well as with the French and European administrations. Understanding of pre-litigation management, prevention of criminal risk in state courts and the European or arbitral authorities is also important.
How DLA Piper can help
Our in-depth understanding of our clients' needs enables us to offer innovative solutions for your projects at every stage, with knowledge and skill in:
- Competition law: distribution and consumption; from the most simple to the most innovative, in litigation and in counsel,
- Complex contractual and financial arrangements between the public and the private sector, such as public-private partnerships, privatizations and private financing of public projects,
- Litigation across traditional areas of public law: regulatory law related to complex and evolving sectors such as energy, telecommunications, environment, and urban planning,
- Civil litigation: law of obligations, special contracts, civil liability and insurance, provisional measures, property law, real estate and construction law, property security law and enforcement proceedings,
- Corporate litigation: shareholder disputes, director liability, post-acquisition litigation, banking litigation, collective procedures litigation, and more generally, commercial litigation,
- Arbitration: institutional or ad hoc legal disputes beyond arbitration proceedings, including conservatory or provisional measures, annulment appeals against arbitration awards. Advising investors, state or legal entities of public law for arbitration relating to investments and/or subject to procedures submitted to ICSID rules or other regulations in multiple sectors such as acquisition transactions or joint ventures, contractual disputes, hydrocarbons, energy, mining and natural resources, intellectual property, banking and finance, distribution, international trade and construction,
- Internal investigations notably based on the extraterritorial reach of American and British anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and economic sanctions.
Our French Litigation and Regulatory team is one of the most prominent in the market and comprises more than 40 lawyers focused on litigation and regulatory, including ten partners within an international team of more than 1000 lawyers.
Sources praise the team's “high-quality work, good understanding of the institutions, good organisation and good tactical sense.”
One client commends the lawyers for their reactivity, saying: “I find them to be excellent in their communication and always very efficient and quick to respond to any queries we have and get back with the information that we require.”
Michael Ostrove is adept at handling investor-state arbitrations, where he often acts for European and African sovereign states. “He has a wealth of experience, he is extremely calm and considered in his approach, he thinks very carefully and very thoroughly,” says one impressed client, going on to add: “He is a mine of information on international arbitration. He is also a very diplomatic and modest person.”
Chambers Europe, 2021
“Very good technical skills and great availability.”
“Excellent quality of exchanges.”
“Michael Ostrove is excellent; he is a very talented lawyer and advocate, but also an unfailingly courteous and considerate opponent.”
“A very proficient and nice team.”
“Alexander Brabant is a great technician and knows his files to perfection.”
“A team of professionals who are dedicated to serve their clients the best way.”
“Michael Ostrove is an utmost professional.”
“The team is made up of highly qualified individuals.”
Legal 500, 2021