Whether a private or public economic organization, large group, French or a foreign firm, bank or a financial company, your interests need to be supported by legal knowledge and a solid understanding of strategic issues. This requires both a broad and an innovative approach to navigate the complex and sometimes conflicting relationships between companies, as well as with the French and European administrations. Understanding of pre-litigation management, prevention of criminal risk in state courts and the European or arbitral authorities is also important.
How DLA Piper can help
Our in-depth understanding of our clients' needs enables us to offer innovative solutions for your projects at every stage, with knowledge and skill in:
- Competition law: distribution and consumption; from the most simple to the most innovative, in litigation and in counsel,
- Complex contractual and financial arrangements between the public and the private sector, such as public-private partnerships, privatizations and private financing of public projects,
- Litigation across traditional areas of public law: regulatory law related to complex and evolving sectors such as energy, telecommunications, environment, and urban planning,
- Civil litigation: law of obligations, special contracts, civil liability and insurance, provisional measures, property law, real estate and construction law, property security law and enforcement proceedings,
- Corporate litigation: shareholder disputes, director liability, post-acquisition litigation, banking litigation, collective procedures litigation, and more generally, commercial litigation,
- Arbitration: institutional or ad hoc legal disputes beyond arbitration proceedings, including conservatory or provisional measures, annulment appeals against arbitration awards. Advising investors, state or legal entities of public law for arbitration relating to investments and/or subject to procedures submitted to ICSID rules or other regulations in multiple sectors such as acquisition transactions or joint ventures, contractual disputes, hydrocarbons, energy, mining and natural resources, intellectual property, banking and finance, distribution, international trade and construction,
- Internal investigations notably based on the extraterritorial reach of American and British anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and economic sanctions.
Our French Litigation and Regulatory team is one of the most prominent in the market and comprises more than 40 lawyers focused on litigation and regulatory, including ten partners within an international team of more than 1000 lawyers.
What the team is known for: Respected team representing clients in a diverse range of contentious matters. Expertise covers not only corporate and commercial disputes but also criminal law cases. Recent areas of activity include competition and antitrust litigation and disputes related to public law.
Strengths (Quotes mainly from clients): "Very good on the details even though there were lots of technical issues to understand; the lawyers were well prepared and asked the right questions."
Michael Ostrove is the global head of the international arbitration team at the firm. He represents clients in a range of international commercial and investment treaty disputes, with further experience in corruption investigations. Clients include investors, multinational corporations and sovereign states and he has notable experience in Africa-related disputes. He is highly regarded by market commentators as someone who is "building an excellent practice and does very good work in arbitration."
CHAMBERS GLOBAL 2017; CHAMBERS EUROPE 2017
DLA Piper is handling several billion-dollar cases in Africa in the infrastructure, mining and telecoms sectors. It is notably representing the Republic of Guinea in ICSID arbitration brought by BSG claiming expropriation of the world’s largest mining concession. The firm is also increasingly involved in award enforcement cases before the French courts. Alcatel-Lucent, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Technip are also clients. Michael Ostrove heads the practice globally. Alexander Brabant is another key contact.
LEGAL 500 EMEA 2017