Our Real Estate team in France can assist you throughout the entire life cycle of investment, regardless of the nature of the business or the type of asset involved. We can assist at every stage, from financing, development, construction, structuring and management through to disposal of real estate assets or holding structures.
The market is particularly structured and complex, consisting of multiple players and constant legislative and regulatory changes. A deep understanding and a long-term view of each project is required in order to achieve specific objectives with respect to land use, urban planning and construction-related litigation, and financing as well as tax issues.
How DLA Piper can help
Whether it be in France or elsewhere in the world, our cross-functional teams advise investors, consumers, lenders, property developers, promoters, construction companies, owners, asset managers, wealth managers and tenants throughout every stage of real estate transactions:
- Real estate transactions and investments:
- Asset audits
- Acquisitions and disposals
- Joint-ventures and partnerships
- Sale and lease back
- Sale and manage back
- Leasing (commercial and civil leases)
- Structuring of real estate investments (listed French real estate investment companies otherwise known as SIIC/real estate collective investment schemes open to professional investors otherwise known as OPPC)
- Planning, development and construction:
- Planning operations
- Land use and management
- Sales before completion (Vente en l'état futur d'achèvement or VEFA)
- Real estate development (development agreements)
- Construction agreements (Markets, GMP, PSO, prime contractor agreements, architect agreements, assistance to contracting authorities agreements, delegation agreements, agreements entered into with the French Health & Safety Bureau, sub-contracting agreements)
- Urban planning, commercial urban planning, administrative authorizations and public domain property
- Appraisal of applications for administrative authorizations
- Leasing in the context of sale before completion transactions and early availability
- Emphyteutic leases and construction leases
- Occupancy agreements
- Real estate litigation
- Financing and refinancing real estate projects:
- Financing the acquisition of assets held in isolation or in a portfolio and of existing or planned buildings
- Property leasing agreements
- Debt restructuring
- Managing real estate assets:
- Asset structure optimization
- Rental management and real estate portfolio management
- Property management and administration agreements and contractual arrangements
- Creating and managing real estate funds:
- Structuring real estate investment funds (listed French real estate investment companies otherwise known as SIIC/real estate collective investment schemes open to professional investors otherwise known as OPPCI)
- Fund management
- Investor participation
- Mezzanine Real Estate financing
Our French Real Estate team is one of the largest in the market, with 20 lawyers focused on Real Estate, including four partners within the international team of 550 lawyers.
Our sector-based approach devoted to the real estate industry allows us to enlist the knowledge of other sector lawyers with crucial complementary skills where necessary, whether it be lawyers with experience in tax, finance and projects, intellectual and industrial property or litigation.
We advise major French and international organizations on the market, including institutional investors, French and foreign investment funds, domestic and international users, insurance companies, banking institutions, management companies, owners and independent or chain hotel operators, property developers, promoters, construction companies, owners and tenants as well as all types of French and international industrial companies spanning the whole spectrum of real estate-related activities.
Clients note the "precision and quality of the advice and impressive commitment to the defence of the client's interests."
Another values the lawyers' "competence and availability."
The "very successful" Antoine Mercier advises on acquisitions and disposals of logistics assets. He additionally handles commercial leasing mandates.
Antonia Raccat handles a wide array of real estate matters, including leasings, acquisitions and disposals on behalf of real estate investors. She is also active in development financings.
Myriam Mejdoubi enters the table this year following glowing market feedback. She assists with acquisitions and disposals of logistics portfolios, office buildings and shopping centres. Clients describe her as "available and reliable."
Olivia Michaud enters the table this year following praise from the market. Her caseload spans commercial leasings and development projects. She is esteemed among market commentators for her work on construction issues.
Chambers Europe, 2021
Very solid and professional team.
Great professionalism from Myriam Mejdoubi.
The practice is very well organised with specialists on all subjects.
Myriam Mejdoubi is a particularly efficient person and it is always very pleasant to work with her because of her approach and her availability. She always tries to help and take the extra small step to find the right idea and therefore I highly recommend her.
Excellent technical knowledge combined with a friendly and commercial team.
Antoine Mercier, Myriam Medjoubi and Erwan Lacheteau are brilliant and competent people. In addition to their diligence, we appreciate their sympathy and availability. Finally, we can count on them to leverage on their international network in the event of acquisitions spanning several jurisdictions.
Legal 500, 2021