We help tax departments of multi-national companies address the complex challenges of national and international commerce and business operations. We advise on a wide range of tax issues ranging from inward and outward investment, structuring for corporate and real estate acquisitions and disposals, fund formation through to executive and employee compensation packages.
How DLA Piper can help
Our experience allows us to find the best solutions for your tax issues. To do this we draw on our in-depth knowledge and extensive experience gained from working within every area of tax law, to deliver consistently high quality, commercially aware tax advice. With tax lawyers, advisers and economists in their local legal and business environments, our global presence enables us to offer local tax excellence within and international framework in a cost-effective manner.
We can assist our clients in:
- Fund formation:
- Tax structuring of funds and investment platforms in the context of cross-border investments to minimise tax frictions
- Assistance in the structuring of carries interest and other incentive mechanisms
- Real estate investment and fund structures:
- Structuring of property acquisition, investments and developments
- Advising businesses ranging from property developers and investors, fund investors, fund sponsors, real estate investment trusts (REITs), public companies and public bodies
- Corporate transactional tax services:
- Taxation of national and international mergers & acquisitions,
- Taxation of private and public companies,
- Real Estate taxation and taxation applying to property transactions,
- Private equity investment and fund formation
- Corporate tax advisory services:
- Structuring of domestic and cross-border business operations
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity tax
- International corporate reorganisations
- Group financing structures
- IP development and exploitation strategies
- Design and implementation of domestic and cross-border tax solutions
- Tax controversy and disputes:
- Advise and represent multinational companies in managing and defending tax disputes at all administrative and judicial levels
- Representing clients in tax disputes involving issues relating to corporate taxes; transfer taxes, employment taxes, transfer pricing and indirect taxes
- Transfer pricing:
- Assist with the development, implementation, documentation and defence of beneficial worldwide transfer pricing strategies
- VAT and customs duties:
- Advice on the incidence of VAT
- How to structure commercial transactions
- Group internal flow of goods and services in a VAT efficient way
- Registration and general compliance
- Global equity compensation:
- Advising on incentive plans and tax efficient executive compensation on a national basis
- Advising on global incentives and compensation on cross-border tax issues for internationally mobile executives and employees
- Global private client:
- Advise on tax issues wherever you, your loved one, or your assets, investment and business interests may be
- Assist in devising efficient strategies to mitigate your tax and reporting exposure anywhere in the world
- Assistance in dealing with local tax authorities
Our ten lawyer team in France, including 3 partners and 1 counsel, is part of the DLA Piper global tax team comprising over 300 lawyers. We are able to advise on a wide range of tax issues, from domestic matters, including tax controversies and litigation, to global matters covering tax planning, restructuring, M&A and private equity-related matters, real estate acquisitions and disposals, and transfer pricing planning.
Our tax lawyers work closely with colleagues in numerous areas of law including corporate, real estate, employment, finance, intellectual property and restructuring, which further strengthens the capabilities of our tax practitioners, resulting in fully integrated advice to our clients.
Clients appreciate the team's commitment, with one describing the lawyers as “very responsive and understanding of our problems.”
Fanny Combourieu is recognised for her advice on the tax elements of acquisitions, sales and investments, frequently assisting investment companies, asset managers and private equity firms. One interviewee describes her as being “excellent.”
Raphaël Béra is noted for his expertise advising on the tax aspects of structurings, acquisitions and sales. His recent clients include financial institutions and private equity firms.
Sylvie Vansteenkiste is renowned for her assistance with the tax elements of acquisitions and restructurings. She frequently acts for financial institutions and private equity firms.
Chambers Europe, 2021
Thanks to its multi-disciplinary approach, DLA Piper was able to offer us full support.
Top rate knowledge of the tax environment in the private equity industry. Deep insight of how the regulations have evolved over the years gives the DLA tax team a lot of value.
Raphaël Béra delivers high-value advice: He is very knowledgeable.
Legal 500, 2021