DLA Piper has one of Germany's leading teams in employment law. Our offices in Frankfurt, Hamburg, Cologne and Munich have more than 25 employment law specialists who excel in dealing with all issues of individual and collective employment law, owing to their many years of experience.
Our team is part of the international employment law practice, which includes more than 250 lawyers around the world specializing in this field of law. The many and diverse projects that they have handled have given them a great deal of experience in cross-border and cross-jurisdiction cooperation.
Advising on employment law is one of our firm’s core competencies, which we are continuously extending and expanding. All of the team’s lawyers deal exclusively with employment law and related fields. They are extremely well networked, valued and recognized internally and externally, both locally and internationally. The cases handled by the group include all issues of employment law, from day-to-day personnel management to transactions and sensitive, time-critical restructuring projects.
Among our clients are companies of every size and from a variety of sectors, including international conglomerates and major medium-sized businesses.
We have extensive experience in advising on company development and growth, and on disputes with works councils and individual employees. We routinely provide advisory services concerning laws on employment contracts with management boards and executives, especially companies with co-determination.
We also support our clients with regard to restructuring existing company pension plans or introducing new forms of care and the associated liability risks.
Our continuous and close collaboration with other practice groups, in particular with the tax and corporate law areas, enables us to provide advisory services in legally complex and cross-segment issues such as those that arise in the context of outsourcing or secondments abroad. In addition, we have had great success providing employment law support for transactions.
We advise nationally and internationally active clients in, among others, the following areas:
- Company pension plans
- Changes in business operations and insolvency
- Transfer of operations and transactional employment law
- Compliance and data protection
- Structuring and terminating employment contracts
- Co-determination in operations and business
- Collective bargaining law and labour disputes
- Models for remuneration and employee profit-sharing
- Provided Europe-wide advisory services for Newell Rubbermaid on all issues of employment law
- Ongoing advising of H&M Hennes & Mauritz GmbH, which has approx. 400 branches and approx. 16,000 employees, on a wide range of issues relating to employee rights and representation
- Comprehensive advising of AB Elektronik / TT electronics on a planned restructuring and on relocating production abroad
- Expansion of worldwide ongoing advisory services for Cisco Systems, Inc. concerning issues of internal reorganization, and increasingly also relating to collective bargaining matters arising from the recently established works council
- Post-M&A integration/restructuring and global transformation of HR Fuller Gruppe after the acquisition of Switzerland’s Forbo Group, including plant closure
- Support in many collective bargaining disputes that arose especially in connection with the change in partners from Alcatel Lucent Network Services GmbH to the current ZTE Operations GmbH
- Advised Barclays on implementing an international whistleblowing strategy
- Regular advising of Benteler on issues of employment law and other legal matters
- Advised Atos Information Technology on outsourcing the IT department of Nokia Siemens in a total of 15 countries. This project required international coordination
- Number 1 in the Chambers Global ranking for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 in the 'Global Employment' category
- Regularly ranked in the leading categories by Juve, The Legal 500 and Chambers Deutschland (since 2005)
- Outstanding mention of employment law partners by Best Lawyers in Germany 2012, 2013 and 2014