DLA Piper’s German tax law team offers one-stop tax and legal advice. Interdisciplinary work is an integral part of our advisory services, which transcend individual practice groups and include engagements originally limited to tax matters, in both a national and cross-border context. In providing advisory services relating to multinational tax structures, transactions and compliance, we cooperate closely with our colleagues in DLA Piper’s worldwide tax law practice group, with around 250 tax lawyers and tax advisers.
Our clients are national and multinational companies and corporate groups, as well as small, medium-sized and family businesses, plus wealthy private individuals, financial institutions and investment funds, institutional and private investors, insurance companies and brokers, private equity and venture capital funds, public-sector enterprises, and foundations and charitable institutions.
Tax law is a highly regulated field of law. Because of frequent changes in legislation, persons and entities active in business must constantly adapt to new requirements and challenges so that they can achieve their goals in a tax-efficient manner. Increasing Europeanization and internationalization are making matters even more complex. In this environment, confronting the implications of tax law efficiently is of immense importance to the success of a transaction or to a company’s future viability. This is why we offer our advisory services.
We develop solutions that optimally meet our clients’ needs. We possess extensive experience in all areas of national and international tax law, and we combine legal expertise with specific knowledge of markets, together with a clear understanding of our clients’ business needs.
Our close internal networking with the corporate, restructuring, real estate, banking/finance, employment and litigation practice groups means that we can offer one-stop satisfaction of our clients’ advisory needs on a national and international level.
We provide advisory services in all relevant areas of German and international tax law. Our areas of emphasis:
- Tax structuring of company acquisitions and sales, transformations and mergers, and operational restructurings, including fiscal due diligence
- Advising on tax matters after acquisitions and restructurings with regard to integrating divisions as well as splitting off divisions in advance of company sales or restructurings
- Advisory services on tax aspects of business financing, including shareholder loans and hybrid forms of financing as well as any tax restrictions, such as the 'interest cap'
- Organizing multinational business restructurings and financing structures, including cash pooling
- Support on tax aspects of reorganization and restructuring measures to avoid insolvency proceedings or as part of insolvency proceedings
- Developing tax-efficient national and cross-border investment and financing structures for German and foreign funds (eg real estate or ship funds) and drafting offering prospectuses
- Comprehensive advisory services on tax planning for international companies, especially German companies with foreign branch-es/subsidiaries as well as foreign groups with domestic activities
- Configuring intra-group transfer pricing agreements for goods and services and preparing transfer pricing documentation
- Preparing applications for binding disclosure and/or advance pricing agreements (APAs) in the area of transfer pricing
- Audit support and conducting opposition proceedings as well as fiscal court proceedings all the way up to the Federal Fiscal Court
- Tax and legal advisory services concerning private equity and venture capital, especially in the structuring and creation of venture capital and private equity funds
- Advising on VAT, eg with regard to optimizing the flow of goods and services, licensing and distribution structures
- Advising on the tax implications of seconding employees
- Advising on the creation of employee profit-sharing plans
- Advising on tax structures with respect to commercial and tax balance sheets, focusing on the annual financial statements
- Advising software, technology and other companies on the tax structures of the licensing relationships and protective rights (patents, know-how, etc)
- Advising entrepreneurs, wealthy private individuals and partners with business assets, real estate and other assets at home and abroad on matters of income and inheritance tax as well as provisions of criminal law for tax offences
- Provided tax advice to The Blackstone Group International Partners regarding the acquisition of a German-French logistics portfolio with a total area of approx. 750,000 square metres
- Provided tax advice to econda GmbH and DELASOCIAL GmbH regarding the investment by Equistone Partners Europe to found Performance Interactive Alliance für digitales Marketing GmbH
- Provided tax advice to a U.S. financial investor on the acquisition of real estate portfolios and non-performing loan portfolios involving several million euros
- Advised on criminal law relating to tax offences and supplementary tax returns for wealthy private individuals and advised on tax compliance for companies
- Provided support for audits and financial court proceedings for private individuals and companies
- Provided tax advice to GFI Software and Columbus McKinnon regarding the transnational tax-optimized restructuring of the group
- Provided tax advice to Tenova SpA regarding the purchase of Takraf GmbH and other companies and on tax restructuring for integration into the group, including fiscal due diligence
- Provided tax advice to the Active Investment Management (AAIM) real estate fund regarding the acquisition structuring of a port-folio of 34 home improvement stores and 17 department stores valued at approx. EUR 700 million
- Tax and legal structuring of a closed-end real estate fund for Indian investors for acquisition of the A10 Shopping Center in Berlin
- Tax and legal structuring of the acquisition of parts of the Wankdorf Center in Zurich for Indian investors
- Advised an EU institution on VAT issues in connection with its activity
- Advised on tax and legal structuring regarding various Taurus Investment Holding closed-end real estate funds
- Provided tax advice to Wichford Plc on the acquisition of a German office building portfolio
- JUVE Handbook 2013/2014: Listed in the national ranking
- European Tax Disputes Team of the Year 2014, US Tax Firm in Eu-rope 2014 and Media & Entertainment Deal of the Year 2014 – International Tax Review
- European Media and Entertainment Tax Team of the Year – ITR European Tax Awards 2013
- European Energy Tax Firm of the Year 2012 – ITR European Tax Awards 2012
- Best Newcomer of the Year – ITR European Tax Awards 2010