We have a full-time, dedicated restructuring team in Hong Kong providing advice throughout the capital structure on all aspects of restructuring, insolvency and recovery. Hong Kong is typically the financial entry point the People's Republic of China (PRC). Our team works closely with colleagues in Beijing and Shanghai to offer clients comprehensive restructuring legal advice across China. Through our network of offices and relationships with partner firms we are also adept at delivering restructuring and insolvency legal services across Asia Pacific.
Our restructuring team in Hong Kong is part of our Global Restructuring Group, which is one of the world's largest team of dedicated restructuring lawyers. With experts across the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East, we have the knowledge, experience and resources to address our clients' restructuring and insolvency needs on a local and global basis. Around the world, our global team is made up of experienced restructuring lawyers who have extensive knowledge of local markets and the associated challenges our clients face.
We serve a diverse client base encompassing a broad range of stakeholders, including financial institutions, financial advisors, insolvency officeholders, corporates, private equity funds, shareholders, distressed debt funds/investors, bondholders/loan note holders and creditors' committees. We counsel clients on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency and where necessary involve other practice area specialists in order to deliver the complex solutions required.
Our services include:
- Financial restructuring
- Corporate restructuring
- Distressed debt sales and purchases
- Distressed M&A
- Insolvency advice
- Insolvency litigation, shareholder and joint venture disputes and PRC fraud investigations
We advise clients across a wide range of industry sectors and have particular strength in energy, real estate, technology, retail, manufacturing, hospitality and leisure, sports and transportation.
Some significant restructuring matters we have recently worked on include:
- Trident Microsystems – Acting on the restructuring of Trident Microsystems, Inc, a leader in the digital home entertainment market, across Asia, including in Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea and Japan, as well as in the United States and Europe. We assisted Trident in relation to the transfer of its China business to acquirers, the liquidation of its Chinese entities, the transfer of certain assets and liabilities, the transfer of employees in its Chinese units and the settlement of outstanding employment claims. The 2013 M&A Advisor International Awards honoured us with the 'Corporate/Strategic Acquisition of the Year' (over US$ 50 million to US$ 100 million) for the sale of Trident Microsystems.
- PRC forestry business – Acting for a noteholder in relation to restructuring its rights under a convertible loan note following a right of redemption being triggered.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers – Advising PwC as receivers appointed offshore in relation to a prominent PRC property developer.
- STX Pan Ocean – Advising in relation to the recognition of the Korean rehabilitation order and protection of its assets in Hong Kong.
- UK retailer – Advising a UK retailer in relation to the closure and winding down of its e-commerce business in the PRC.
- ZST Digital Networks Inc – Acting for the court appointed receiver of ZST Digital Networks, Inc, a NASDAQ-listed company with operational assets based predominantly in China. Advising the receiver in relation to the pursuit and seizure of assets in a number of jurisdictions, as part of a global recovery strategy.