ESPORTS ON THE RISE
The focus on esports in this edition is exciting because, according to the World Economic Forum, esports will soon be a US$1 billion business with a global audience of over 300 million fans.
Fans watch on YouTube's gaming channel or on Twitch, a dedicated gaming channel on the web. In the first quarter of 2018, esports viewers spent 17.9 million hours watching their gaming heroes on those channels. The global esports audience is expected to reach 380 million this year, made up of 165 million dedicated esports fans and 215 million occasional viewers.
As the esports economy grows, DLA Piper has formed an esports team to advise on all facets of the industry, including:
- Content acquisition, production, licensing and distribution transactions
- Brand development and protection
- Private equity, venture capital and M&A
- Infrastructure and facilities development
- Commercial litigation, trademark litigation and ticketing litigation
This is just the latest swift, fascinating evolution within the world of IPT. Please let us know how we can help you navigate this changing world.