Know Your Rights
Know Your Rights (KYR) is our legal education program for refugees. KYR was developed to empower refugees so that they can become better advocates for themselves and have a strong understanding of their rights. To date, there have been 19 editions of KYR in 10 countries, with 85 of the firm's lawyers running sessions with 52 clients. The program has seen over 260 participants from 32 nations, speaking a total of 28 languages.
Find out more here
We have formed a secondment program with Avocats sans Frontières France (ASF) to support its work on the Greek island of Samos. Since July 2019, we have sent two lawyers from across Europe and the UK to Samos every fortnight. The lawyers are paired with an ASF volunteer to prepare and accompany clients to their asylum interviews with the Greek Asylum Services (GAS) or the European Asylum Service. Our lawyers also help ASF with family reunification cases and information/legal workshops for LGBTQI clients and women.
- SINGA and Refugees Forward
Working with SINGA, an NGO in France that provides opportunities for refugees and their host communities, and Refugees Forward, an incubator program that is specifically targeted at helping refugee entrepreneurs start their businesses in the Netherlands, we provide legal advice to refugees setting up businesses.
- Italian Refugee Council
Working with The Refugee Council in Italy, an NGO that defends the rights of refugees and asylum seekers, we litigate on behalf of stateless people so that they can be formally recognized as stateless.
- International Refugee Assistance Project
We are working with International Refugee Assistance Project to represent refugees who would like to join their family members abroad.
- Hintalovon Child Rights Centre
We are working with the Hintalovon Child Rights Centre in Hungary to represent children in custody and financial support related matters, criminal proceedings and the privacy rights of children.
- Polskie Towarzystwo Prawa Antydyskryminacyjnego
Working with Polskie Towarzystwo Prawa Antydyskryminacyjnego, we litigate on behalf of employees in Poland who face discrimination issues – especially women for maternity rights.
- Manuel Bravo
In the UK, we have partnered with the NGO Manual Bravo for more than ten years on a clinic that helps refugees apply for indefinite leave to remain.
- Kids in Need of Defence
We have partnered with the NGO Kids in Need of Defence UK to help children obtain British citizenship. We have clinics in our London, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Manchester offices. Through these clinics we see up to two clients a fortnight and have helped over 60 families to regularize their citizenship. This clinic ensures that children can access higher education loans, obtain a British passport and access welfare benefits if needed.
What do we do?
- We provide legal training to asylum seekers and refugees across Europe, organize networking events and create employment opportunities.
- We support refugees with their family reunification cases across Europe.
- We research, advocate and litigate for children's rights.
- We enhance local lawyers' capacities by providing training on human rights, international law and legal ethics.
- We provide legal assistance to refugee entrepreneurs setting up their businesses in Europe.
- We support NGOs with their day-to-day legal issues such as drafting contracts, answering legal questions and taking on litigation.
- We conduct research on human trafficking and represent trafficked people in court proceedings.