Guillermo provides tax advice to clients in cross-border and domestic mergers, acquisitions and corporate reorganizations. He also advises clients in tax matters related to all types of financing transactions and securities offerings, in addition to representing clients in tax audits, disputes and negotiations with authorities on tax, customs and foreign trade issues.
Guillermo has led or co-led tax work in the following significant matters:
- A railroad freight company with operations in Mexico on various matters, including the merger of its US parent with a Canadian railroad valued at US$31 billion, resulting in the creation of a single-line rail network linking the US, Mexico and Canada; and the structuring and negotiation of two joint ventures for the construction of a unit train liquid fuels terminal and for the construction and operation of a refined energy products fuel terminal.
- An independent global infrastructure manager in its acquisition of a leading digital infrastructure provider in Mexico.
- A North American energy infrastructure company in the sale of a 20 percent stake to an American global investment company for US$3.37 billion.
- A US-based gold and copper producer with operations worldwide in its US$10 billion acquisition of a Canadian senior gold producer.
- The issuer on the IPO of the first Energy and Infrastructure Investment Trust focused on the electric sector in Mexico in which US$880 million was raised.
- Banks and financial institutions in various tax matters related to investment banking, securities, commercial banking, syndicated loans, asset management and day-to-day operations.
- A leading pet retailer in Mexico in negotiations for the reception of an equity investment from a private equity fund.
- A multinational independent power producer in the acquisition of a solar project in Mexico.
- Numerous clients on customs and foreign trade matters, such as the restructuring and expansion of IMMEX operations; on custom and foreign trade audits; on administrative customs procedures and on customs-related litigation.
- A well-known investment banking advisory firm in the structuring and placement of two Mexican exchange-traded funds.
- A Mexican non-bank mortgage and construction lender on tax advice related to its debt restructuring and bankruptcy processes.
- Banks, multilaterals and investors in the structuring of infrastructure projects.
- Various companies and international groups in structuring real estate projects for the tourist, commercial and industrial sectors on tax-related matters.
- Investment bankers, offshore firms and investors on matters related to tax compliance, structuring, repatriation and disposition of inbound and outbound investments of companies and high-net worth individuals.
- Clients on the structuring of personal and family wealth preservation and estate plans.
- Law Degree (J.D. equivalent), Universidad de Monterrey School of Law
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center
Ranked by Chambers & Partners as a Leading Lawyer in Tax from 2016 to 2020
A team led by Guillermo was ranked by The Legal 500 and International Tax Review in all editions during the time he held the position.
Before joining DLA Piper, Guillermo was a partner and practice head in Mexico for a global law firm with presence in Mexico. He also served as an associate for a prestigious Mexican law firm and for one of the Big Four accounting firms.
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico, A.C.