Thomas Albrechtsen LL.M.Partner
Thomas Albrechtsen has long-standing experience within real estate transactions, M&A real estate and listed companies.
His legal work includes cross-border matters, the establishment of fund structures, and transactions involving special asset classes such as hotel & leisure, shopping centres and the senior housing/residential care segments. Moreover, he has extensive experience within financing, refinancing and complex restructurings, primarily within the real estate and shipping industries.
Thomas Albrechtsen advises Danish and international investors, fund/asset managers, property investment companies and financial institutions.
- Acting for a Danish hotel investor in connection with a DKK 500m acquisition of a portfolio of six hotels in operation.
A highly complex transaction involved a number of inter-related components, including: (i) advising clients on a buy-in via the pre-existing debt as well as the equity, (ii) advising clients on new hotel management agreements with an international hotel operator for a refurbishment and rebranding of the hotels, (iii) advising on the funding structure and borrower-side representation in respect of the acquisition finance and the related capex-line, (iv) providing legal advice as to the holding structure and fund flows, (v) advising clients on the transition from the former operator to the new operator.
- Acting for a Danish owner of a hotel property in connection with a re-negotiation of hotel management agreement on a major, branded hotel and advising on a re-financing of the asset obtained from a Central European bank. The transaction involved a complex recalibration of certain key components of the hotel management agreement, including the split between owner and operator of the obligations in respect a property improvement plan, capex and FF&Es. Negotiation of the loan and security documentation relating to the re-financing as well as the unwinding of the existing financing and the alignment of the loan documentation with the structure of the very complex hotel management agreement and operational set-up.
- Advised the international lender group in the two-phase restructuring of TORM A/S in 2012 and 2016. The initial restructuring in 2012 was awarded “Restructuring Deal of the Year” by Marine Money in 2013. Marine Money wrote:
"By far the largest recipients of nominations, perhaps due to its size and complexity was the restructuring of the existing secured and unsecured debt owed by TORM A/S and its subsidiaries. The restructuring, the largest ever lender-led restructuring in shipping, involved a complex simultaneous financial and corporate restructuring of the entire TORM Group and injection of new capital into the Group to provide much needed short-term liquidity.”
- University College London, Master of Laws, 1991
- The University of Copenhagen, Master of Law, 1990
- 2001-2019, Partner in a large Danish law firm
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Danish Bar and Law Society