Tony Andriotis leads our international arbitration team in Tokyo. He has extensive experience in ADR and has acted on behalf of Japanese parties in JCAA, ICC, SIAC and ICDR arbitration. Tony is also experienced in litigation, international regulatory work and bankruptcy. Tony has lived in Japan for over a decade.
Tony frequently speaks on matters regarding ADR and cross-border dispute settlement throughout Asia, and is listed as an arbitrator with the Asian International Arbitration Centre, the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board, the Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration, and the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association, where he also serves as their Professional & Institutional Relations Officer.
- Represented a Japanese private equity fund in regards to a contractual dispute with an Australian logistics company.
- Represented the Japanese subsidiary of a European pharmaceutical company in a dispute with another pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a Japanese metals company in a corporate governance dispute with a South-East Asia based joint-venture partner.
- Represented a Japanese trading company in a contractual dispute with a US-based military hardware manufacturer.
- Represented Japanese auto-parts and capacitor manufacturers, and a major Japanese bank in regards to international regulatory and criminal investigations.
- Represented a major Japanese trading company in an FCPA case and frequently represented Japanese industrials in international trade matters.
- Worked on the Enron and Lehman Brother bankruptcies.
- Represented major international Pharmaceutical companies in regards to both class-action product liability cases and contractual disputes.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- Cornell University, B.A., 1995
- In Recap: ICC Asia-Pacific Conference on International Arbitration, Part 2 (2022), Kluwer Arbitration Blog, Co-author with Anran Zhang (ICC)
- Cooperating on Disputes-Moving towards a Stronger Cooperative Foundation for the Settlement of Disputes in Asia, Co-author with Giorgio Fabio Colombo, David MacArthur, Masako Miyatake, Michael Mroczek,Shiori Sato, Julia Jiyeon Yu, Japan Commercial Arbitration Journal VOL. 1 (2020)
- Thoughts on necessary change in Japan, Co-author, with Yoshimasa Furuta, Yuki Sakioka, and Michael Mroczek, Global Arbitration Review, 23 May 2018
- Settling Direct Disputes with Sovereigns: Striving for Transparency in the Settlement of Public-Private Partnership Disputes, Co-author, with Joao Ribeiro-Bidaoui, Soo-Hyun Lee and Jean-Isamu Taguchi, Journal of International Business and Law: Vol. 17: Iss. 2, Article 3 (2018)
- Need for clarity: Where has international arbitration failed?, Co-author, with João Ribeiro, Soo-Hyun Lee and Jean-Isamu Taguchi, Asia Business Law Journal: Vol 1.: Iss. 6 (2017)
- When You Can’t Beat Them, Enjoin Them—Injunctive Relief for SEP Infringement, Co-author, with Hitomi Iwase and Paul Dimitriadis, Bloomberg BNA - International Trade Daily Bulletin: Vol. 14, Iss. 187 (2014)
- Japan's New Financial ADR System, Co-author, with Masako Miyatake, Bloomberg Law Reports - Alternative Dispute Resolution: Vol. 1: Iss. 2 (2010)
- Joint Webinar with FRONTEO on Technology and Analytics in Cross-Border E-Discovery, 17 June 2021
- Moderator, FTI Consulting, Japan Commercial Arbitration Association and Roppongi Bar Association's panel: ADR in Japan: On the Cusp of Statutory, Technological and Cultural Change, 11 March 2021
- Directory of Who’s Who in the World of Business in Japan: Tony Andriotis, Interview and Feature, The Japan Times, 24 July 2018
- Panellist and organizer, Roppongi Bar Association’s Panel on Alternative Dispute Resolution, Thomson Reuters Tokyo, 18 July 2018
- 2019-2020, Partner, Tokyo office of US based international law firm
- 2007-2019, Counsel and Associate, New York and Tokyo offices of US based international law firm, inclusive of a multi-year secondment to a Japan based international law firm
- 2005-2007, Clerk for a Senior Judge at the United States Court of International Trade
- Adjunct Professor at Temple University Law School, Tokyo Campus (Arbitration, Cross-Border Litigation); Part-Time Lecturer at Keio University School of Law, Tokyo (Arbitration, Case Studies in International Law); Humboldt University, Berlin (International Disputes & Regulatory Law).
Memberships And Affiliations
- Attorney-at-law admitted with the State Bar of New York
- Founding president, Greek Chamber of Commerce in Japan
- Member of the Board of Governors, European Business Council in Japan
- Board member, Hellenic Lawyers Association
- Professional and Institutional Relations Officer, Japan Commercial Arbitration Association
- Board member, Japan Association of Arbitrators
- Advisory Board member, Japan International Dispute Resolution Center
- Member, Rotary Club International (Roppongi Branch)