Veronika Appl is a passionate IP lawyer with a special focus on trademarks, designs, copyright, marketing and unfair commercial practices and advises mainly in the consumer goods and life sciences sector.
Veronika also assists clients in commercial contracting, e-commerce and distribution law and handles advisory as well as litigation work. Her clients include Austrian SMEs and multinational companies.
Veronika is particularly experienced in the food sector. She advises national and international companies in the food chain, from the producer to the supplier to the final seller, on all aspects of product and food law. She is detailed experienced in the legal design of product claims and advertisements as well as in the legal structuring of online shops and general terms and conditions. Her many years of practical experience also flow into her litigation expertise in national and international matters. She represents clients in civil proceedings with a focus on unfair competition proceedings and administrative and administrative criminal proceedings.
Veronika also advises in the field of life sciences with a focus on medical research and development as well as medical devices. Her experience in the regulatory area covers cosmetics, medicines, medical devices and animal feed.
Furthermore, Veronika is specialized in intellectual property (trademark, design, patent and copyright law). She provides ongoing advice on all legal aspects of corporate identity and brand strategies of Start Ups, SMEs and Industry. She also drafts IP-contracts such as license agreements and trademark agreements. She represents clients before national and international Patent Offices.
Veronika teaches unfair competition law at the University of Vienna and intellectual property law at the Sigmund Freud University Vienna and at the Danube University Krems. She is an author of relevant publications and a speaker at international conferences.
- Ongoing advice to the Austrian subsidiary of a multinational consumer goods group on various legal issues in the areas of food, cosmetics, detergents and cleaning products as well as ongoing representation in related administrative (criminal) proceedings and litigation under the UWG.
- Ongoing advice to the Austrian subsidiary of a multinational food manufacturer on various food law issues including novel foods and ongoing representation in related administrative (criminal) proceedings.
- Advising the Austrian subsidiary of a multinational online mail order company in connection with various regulatory legal issues, such as the transport of dangerous goods, and representation in related administrative criminal proceedings.
- Advising several (high-value) fashion corporations on the set-up of e-commerce solutions (online shops).
- Advising a multinational toy manufacturer on product recall, RAPEX notification and related administrative (criminal) proceedings.
- Advising a number of start-ups in connection with their corporate identity, in particular brand strategy.
- Ongoing advice on licensing and research cooperation agreements for an Austrian University.
- Regulatory advice to an Austrian feed producer.
- Regulatory advice to international manufacturers of pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
- University of Vienna, Canon Law for Lawyers, LL.M., Doctorate with honours, 2019
- University of Vienna, Dr. iur., Doctorate with honours, 2009
- University of Vienna, Mag. iur., Focus on economic and business law, 2006
- Glosse zu OGH 4 Ob 32/20 i (§§ 1 und 2 UWG, Online Tickethandel) in ÖBl 2021/9, 19
- Glosse zu OGH 4 Ob 64/19v (§ 2 UWG, Irreführungsverbot) in ÖBl 2020/9, 38
- Kommentierung zu §§ 39 und 40 UGB – Begrenzung der Haftung des Veräußerers, Frist sowie Rechtsstellung des Erben bei Unternehmensfortführung; in Straube/Ratka/Rauter, Wiener Kommentar zum Unternehmensgesetzbuch (2. Auflage), Wien: Manz, 2018
Teaching and Lecture Activities
- 2019 - to date: Lecturer at the Faculty of Business, Economics and Statistics of the University of Vienna (Unfair Competition Law)
- 2011 - to date: Lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences for Management & Communication, Vienna (Civil and Business Law)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Vienna Bar Association