Co-Chair, Emerging Growth and Venture Capital – DLA Piper Latin America
Co-Head, M&A, Head, Venture Capital - DLA Piper Argentina
Antonio Arias is a Partner at DLA Piper Argentina, he co-leads DLA Piper Argentina’s M&A Department and leads its Venture Capital Department. Antonio also serves as Co-Chair of DLA Piper’s Latin America Regional Group for Emerging Growth and Venture Capital.
Antonio specializes in advising international and local clients doing business in Argentina and in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and venture capital in Latin America; he also advises local and international clients on corporate matters. Antonio counsels large technology companies such as Ericsson, Proofpoint, DEPT Agency, Innovid Inc., Avenga, Gameloft, Vivendi, Booking.com. He also advices large Private Equity companies acting in the region, such as Advent International, The Carlyle Group, Oaktree, Cornerstone, CIVC Partners, Patria, and 3i, and large banks such as Banco Votorantim, Citibank, The Royal Bank of Canada, and Banco Itaú. Among other clients that stand out in his portfolio we can point out Tyson Foods, The Scoular Company, Seaspan Corporation, Lactalis, Brasil Foods.
Antonio is also a specialist in advising startups throughout different stages of their corporate life, from pre-seed to later stage and exits, including in the creation of their legal structure, financing rounds (from pre-seed and seed (SAFEs; Convertible Notes) to equity rounds (Series A, B, and later), and in regulatory affairs and cross-border expansion. He has advised clients to qualify as investees of Y Combinator. Among other startups, he has recently advised Karvi, Bookaway, Elevva, Colegium, Crehana Education, El Callao, Uali, Digiventures, Hopper, Plataforma 10, Bel Community, Gympass, Hubbing.
Additionally, he has substantial experience in credit facilities, project finance and capital markets. Throughout his career he has led and actively participated in the issuance of corporate bonds and equity and sovereign bonds (including under Reg S and Rule 144A) secured and unsecured, other secured and unsecured financings, corporate and sovereign debt restructurings, banking transactions, listing of shares in the NYSE and Buenos Aires Stock Exchange for local and foreign companies, and cross-border project finance transactions.
Antonio is regular counsel to one of the largest renewable energy project developers in Argentina and other companies acting in the energy sector. He has advised clients in the context of the RenovAr renewable program and thermal energy projects, including but not limited to concession and tender offer proceedings, drafting and negotiation of EPCs, O&Ms and other agreements and documentation.
• Banco Itaú. Advised in the acquisition of fintechs Prex (Econstar S.A.) and Paigo (Floder S.A.) in several jurisdictions in LatAm.
• Advent International. Advised in the acquisition of a majority stake in Neoris, a large Argentine tech consultancy and digital transformation service company.
• International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. -IFF. Advised as Argentine counsel to International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. in a reverse carve-out, and sale to LANXESS (one of the world’s largest suppliers of microbial control and biocidal products), a global transaction worth US$1,300 million.
• Avenga International GmbH (an Oaktree Capital portfolio company). Advised in the crossborder acquisition of Harriague y Asociados S.R.L and Incluit LLC.
• The Carlyle Group. Advised on an acquisition of a company in Argentina and other five jurisdictions.
• Tyson Foods. Advised in the acquisition of a company in multiple jurisdictions.
• Karvi Ltd. Advised in its financing rounds, pre-seed, seed, Series A, Series B and certain bridge rounds.
• Uali Holding Limited. Advised in its financing rounds, pre-seed and seed.
• Bookaway Ltd. Advised in its Series C.
• Digiventures. Advised this fintech on its corporate restructuring (including a stock swap transaction) and with its financing round led by Y Combinator.
• El Callao. Advised this fintech in several matters involving IP, corporate structure, financing.
• Advised several clients on corporate structuring including flip of the cap table, IP allocation, international tax and design and implementation of incentive plans.
• Oaktree Capital Management L.P. Advise the client as a creditor of Latam Airlines, Tranche A, for US$1,300 million for the DIP (“Debtor-in-Possession”) Financing Contract in Latin America – Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category "Banking and Finance" by Latin Lawyer.
• Seaspan Corporation. Advised in the US$750 million acquisition of APR Energy and its related secured revolving credit facilities, including structuring of local collateral.
• Royal Bank of Canada and bondholders. Advised in the US$700 million credit agreement and US$625 million bond issuance, to finance Enerflex in the acquisition of Exterran.
- Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, Law Degree, 2007, Honors Diploma
- Masters in Law and Business, University of Pennsylvania School of Law and The Wharton School (2010)
- TTR Data: Antonio Arias ranked as the Partner that closed the largest number of M&A transactions throughout 2022 in Argentina.
- TTR Data: DLA Piper Argentina ranked as the law firm with the largest number of M&A transactions throughout 2022 in Argentina.
- IFLR 1000: “Highly Regarded Lawyer” in Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Project Development and Project Finance.
- Leaders League: He is also included in the latest Leaders League ranking for Corporate M&A and Private Equity.
- Chambers & Partners Global: He was recognized in 2022 as a foreign expert for Brazil.
- “Regulación Fintech: Finanzas Abiertas.”
- "Ad-Tech Startup Innovid Bets on Display Ads," Wall Street Journal, September 18, 2020
- "La filosofía de inversión detrás de la firma que comprometió US$ 1.300 millones para Latam," July 10, 2020
- Prior to joining DLA Piper, Antonio worked at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett (2012), and served as an associate at the São Paulo office of Brazilian Machado Meyer, Sendacz and Opice Advogados (2011 and 2013-2015).
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Anthony Scirica, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2010.