Chris Baird has a wealth of experience in M&A and private equity in a broad range of sectors, including agribusiness, consumer goods, energy & power, financial services, media and technology. Chris Baird's work sees him advising clients on cornerstone M&A and private equity transactions across Europe and Africa. Chris Baird is a leading member of our energy sector initiative and heads up DLA Piper's London desk for African M&A and private equity.
- Phatisa, a leading African development and PE fund manager, on the sale of a controlling shareholding in Meridian Group, a fertilizer and agricultural commodities company operating in Mauritius and Southeast Africa.
- John Swire & Sons on an acquisition made by its subsidiary, Agent Energy, of the biodiesel production, tank storage and cleaning facilities from the Amsterdam-based Simadan Group.
- Cellulant Corporation on its series C equity capital raising from The Rise Fund, its first African deal.
- Adenia Partners, a pan African private equity firm, on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Kanu Equipment, a specialist in the supply of quality mining, earthmoving, agriculture, construction and road construction equipment with distribution centres across the African continent.
- FMO on its investment in JCM Power, a Canadian based renewable energy independent power producer.
- University of the Witwatersrand, BCom, LLB
Chris is a regular speaker at industry events and gatherings, particularly in relation to private equity in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Chris is a regular speaker at industry events and gatherings, particularly in relation to private equity in Sub-Saharan Africa. He is a member of the legal and regulatory committee for the African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association.
Memberships And Affiliations
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Shell on its first power sector acquisition in Africa
22 December 2022 .1 minute read