Charles Baker IIIOf Counsel
Charlie Baker focuses on major real estate developments and permitting matters. He advises a wide variety of clients, including major hotel corporations, real estate developers, communication companies and clients in the casino and horse racing industries. He has assisted clients with advice and representation on regulatory, legislative, and public relations issues as well as on campaign finance, ethics, and conflict of interest matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Charlie had a substantial career in government service. He served as the assistant secretary of the Executive Office of Administration and Finance in Massachusetts from 1989 to 1990, coordinating relations between the Secretariat and other state agencies and participating in legislative negotiations. From 1986 to 1987, he worked as the deputy secretary of the Executive Office of Communities and Development. And from 1983 to 1985, he acted as deputy to the Chief Secretary of the Office of Governor Michael S. Dukakis, coordinating overall gubernatorial priorities and management of political and communication strategies.
Charlie has served in key leadership roles in a number of significant national political campaigns. According to The Washington Post, Charlie "has held a senior post in every Democratic presidential campaign since 1988." He has held a variety of positions including:
- Chief Administrative Officer for Hillary for America (2015—2016)
- Senior Advisor on national field strategy to Kerry/Edwards 2004 and the Democratic National Committee
- Senior Advisor to the Gore/Lieberman 2000 presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee. Charlie devised national field strategy, reviewed and approved state coordinated campaign plans and made resource allocation decisions
- Senior Advisor for the national field strategy for the Clinton/Gore presidential campaign and the DNC in 1992 and 1996
- Chief Campaign Consultant for Senator Edward M. Kennedy’s successful senatorial re-election campaign in 1994
- J.D., Boston University School of Law 1984
- B.A., Government, Harvard University
- "The Conflict of Interest and Lobbying Laws," Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., An Analysis of the State Ethics Commission's Interpretation of Mass. Gen. L ch. 268A, §3(a) and (b)