Gajendran Balachandran is a dispute resolution lawyer, with experience in both litigation and arbitration matters. Gajendran's particular focus is commercial and contractual disputes, and financial services and regulatory advisory work. His clients include companies in a range of sectors including construction and infrastructure, insurance, mining, banking and finance and general investment. Gajendran is also a dual-qualified lawyer, having been admitted to practice as an advocate and solicitor in Malaysia, and as a solicitor in Australia.
- Successfully acting for a private investment fund based in Johannesburg, South Africa in the Federal Court of Australia for injunctive relief restraining a listed company and its directors from acting on a shareholder approval for a selective share buy-back in circumstances where the financial information which had been provided to shareholders proved to be misleading and deceptive.
- Successfully acting for an ASX-listed company in the agriculture sector in obtaining urgent relief from the Federal Court of Australia in relation to breaches of statutory obligations arising out of historical discrepancies with the conduct of its former company secretary.
- Assisting with a multi-million dollar ICC arbitration seated in Singapore in relation to a dispute arising from an EPC Subcontract relating to the Onshore LNG Facilities forming part of the Ichthys Onshore LNG Project (Northern Territory), Australia's largest LNG project.
- Assisting with a multi-million dollar LCIA arbitration seated in London in relation to a dispute arising from breaches of a Share Purchase Agreement and a Settlement Deed between the project owner and investor of in the construction and development of a strategically located port through one of the world's busiest commercial waterways in the Suez Canal, Egypt.
- University of Melbourne, LLM, 2018
- Cardiff University, LLB, 2011
- 2014 – 2017: Associate, Dispute resolution firm in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2019 - 2021, Solicitor, DLA Piper Australia
- Admitted to the High Court of Malaya in Malaysia as an advocate and solicitor in 2014
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of Western Australia as a solicitor in 2018
- Admitted to the High Court of Australia as a solicitor in 2021
Memberships And Affiliations
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Member, Asian Australian Lawyers Association
- Member, Young International Arbitration Group, London Court of International Arbitration