Kabir BaratKuh-beer Buh-rah-tSolicitor
I believe my lived experience of working in multiple jurisdictions is invaluable in helping clients to achieve their goals in cross-border disputes.
Kabir Barat is a solicitor focusing on international commercial arbitration. He has particular experience working on a diverse range of disputes in the natural resources, construction and technology sectors.
Kabir is dual-qualified in Australia and India and has previously worked with DLA Piper's San Francisco office as well. He brings with him, a truly international perspective in helping clients achieve their needs.
Since 2021, Kabir is an International Chamber of Commerce Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC YAF) representative for South Asia. He is also a member of the ICC YAF's Global Education Sub-Committee. As part of his role, Kabir is responsible for spreading awareness about international arbitration, especially to young and upcoming practitioners globally.
- Assisted in the representation of a multinational construction and engineering joint venture contractor in numerous adjudications and ICC arbitrations (valued in excess of USD 1 billion), both up and down the contracting chain, arising out of a multi-billion dollar LNG project off the coast of northern Australia.
- Assisted in advising and representing a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company in ICC arbitrations in relation to the termination of major long term IT services contracts.
- Assisted in the representation of a full service construction company based in Western Australia in a domestic commercial arbitration conducted under the IAMA Arbitration Rules.
- Assisted in the representation of a transport and logistics company based in Western Australia in the defence of a criminal prosecution initiated by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety under the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 (WA).
- Assisted in the representation of an Australian law firm in a class action lawsuit arising out of a professional indemnity and negligence claim.
- Symbiosis Law School, Bachelor of Business Administration & Bachelor of Laws, 2013
- Pepperdine University School of Law, LL.M in Dispute Resolution (Concentration in International Commercial Arbitration), 2016
Before joining DLA Piper, Kabir was an Associate at a full services Mumbai-based law firm where he acted for clients in civil proceedings in the Bombay High Court and domestic commercial arbitrations, 2013-2015.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Western Australia
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group