Mary BarracloughSenior Associate
Mary is a skilled Real Estate Litigator, with a practice covering all areas of Real Estate Litigation and dispute resolution.
She has experience providing commercial and pragmatic advice on contentious and non-contentious issues including: landlord and tenant and lease renewals (contested and unopposed); adverse possession claims; protest actions; dilapidations claims; rent review; commercial and residential possession actions (including squatter proceedings); forfeiture proceedings; contractual disputes relating to land; nuisance issues; claims for rent arrears; debt recovery; and break options.
Mary acts for an established and varied client base that includes a range of corporate bodies, private and public limited companies, transport operating companies, educational institutions, developers, house builders, local authorities, banks and retailers.
She spends time working very closely with her transactional, restructuring and corporate colleagues to provide practical and commercial advice and solutions to those with any interest in land or property across a range of sectors.
- BPP Law School Manchester, Legal Practice Course, Distinction, 2011
- University of Sheffield, Law LLB (Hons), 2:1, 2010
- Acting for a large pub operating company on a portfolio of approximately 3000 public houses in respect of issues arising under the changes in legislation relating to tied public houses, otherwise known as the Pubs Code Regulations; representing the client in Pubs Code Arbitrations on a variety of matters including lease terms; rental determinations and purported legislative breaches; and various appeals to the High Court to set aside Arbitrators’ awards.
- Undertaking portfolio management and property litigation work for a significant steelmaking company including: advising on and terminating agricultural and allotment tenancies; lease renewals (both contested and unopposed); trespass actions; break options; rent arrears claims; boundary disputes; title issues; sale contract disputes and adverse possession claims.
- Acting for a significant national infrastructure provider in relation to litigation arising out of protest activity on the Strategic Road Network in England, obtaining interim injunctions and bringing contempt of court proceedings to enforce the same.
- Advising a higher education provider in relation to all portfolio and real estate litigation work to include: lease renewals (both contested and unopposed); dilapidations claims; trespass actions; debt recovery; contractual disputes; and break options.
- Undertaking portfolio management and property litigation work for a significant high street retailer in respect of their real estate portfolio, including: exercising break options and advising on break conditions; advising on title issues and disputes; serving termination notices; and lease renewals.
- Advising a leading electric vehicle manufacturer in relation to their real estate portfolio, including advising on break conditions and exercising break options.
- Acting for a significant rail infrastructure provider on real estate litigation aspects of a new railway network spanning the north and south of England.
Memberships And Affiliations