Ana Teresa BarretoOf Counsel
Ana Teresa advises national and international clients on the strategy, management, protection, exploitation and defense of industrial and intellectual property assets in Peru and abroad. She represents important national and international companies in the management of their industrial and intellectual property portfolios in multiple sectors.
Ana Teresa has extensive experience in copyright advice and proceedings as well as reviewing and drafting contracts on copyright and technology issues such as software licenses, among others. Likewise, she advises clients on unfair competition procedures and advertising regulation.
Ana Teresa has experience advising the R&D departments of companies for efficient and safe management of the innovation cycle and the intellectual property involved in new developments.
Today, Ana Teresa co-leads the Latin America Intellectual Property & Technology Practice for DLA Piper.
- Strategy, registration, maintenance and defense of the portfolio of national and foreign brands of a leading group in the gastronomy
sector, including the negotiation and execution of actions in defense of their brand rights (infractions) in different jurisdictions, obtaining favorable results.
- Strategy and presentation of administrative actions (cancellation and trademark infringement) in defense of the rights of two brands of
a leading multinational in the food and beverage industry. The results of both strategies were positive for the client.
- Management of the patent and trademark portfolio in Peru of leading laboratories in the international pharmaceutical industry, including
the presentation and monitoring of the entire patent and trademark registration process.
- Elaboration of industrial and intellectual property management policies for a leading regional national company in the agriculture sector
consisting of a set of guidelines and processes in order to identify, coordinate and guarantee the adequate management of the industrial and intellectual property product of their developments.
- Preparation of reports, analysis of patentability and drafting of technical patent documents for a mining exploration company, as well
as the preparation, presentation and monitoring of the registration procedures of its patents. Strategy and presentation of unfair competition actions with favorable results against infringers of rights of an important American
company, leader in the manufacture of mechanical metal products for the mining and construction industry.
- Instituto de Estudios Superiores San Pablo CEU – Madrid, España
Master’s Degree in Law Specializing in Private Law (1999)
- Universidad de Lima
summa cum laude
- Universidad de Lima
Bachelor’s Degree in Law and Political Science (1995)
- Leaders League: Patent Litigation, Patent Prosecution, Trademark Prosecution, Enforcement & anti-counterfeiting actions (2021)
- IAM Patent 1000
- Chambers and Partners: Ranked Lawyer (2014 - 2015)
"Protección de los diseños industriales en los países de la Comunidad Andina y el sistema del Arreglo de La Haya" March, 2022
- Of counsel Ana Teresa Barreto Guinea, participated in the Investment Arbitration Committee Session - "Is commercial or investment arbitration the appropriate forum to resolve intellectual property disputes?" organized by the International Chamber of Commerce Mexico. More info here >>
- Of Counsel, Ana Teresa Barreto, participated in the DLA Piper’s webinar "Software and Technology licenses in LATAM and Cross-Border deals," on November 18th, 2021. More info here >>
- Of Counsel, Ana Teresa Barreto, participated as a speaker on September 24th with the topic "Main infringements and violations of intellectual property" at the Specialization Program in Competition Law and Intellectual Property organized by the Commercial Law Team of the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú. More information here >>
Memberships And Affiliations
- Lima Bar Association
- Peruvian Association of Industrial Property and Copyright (APPI)
- Inter- American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)