Andy BattySenior Associate
Andy Batty is an infrastructure and procurement lawyer with over 9 years’ experience advising public and private sector clients on a range of projects across a number of sectors including transport, healthcare, education, energy (including nuclear) and social housing.
Andy has a particular expertise in public procurement law and strategy and regularly assists clients with pragmatic and commercially-focused advice to help them navigate the complexities of public and utilities sector procurement regimes in the UK and other jurisdictions.
He regularly provides training to a number of public and private sector clients on a range of procurement issues and is helping to co-ordinate the DLA Piper approach and response to procurement reform in the UK.
- Advising the Greater Manchester Combined Authority and Transport for Greater Manchester on the procurement of bus franchises pursuant to the Bus Services Act 2017 and the Utilities Contracts Regulations 2016. Andy has been an integral member of the core advisory team from the outset of the development of the franchising scheme right through to the award of contracts across multiple lots. This is a pathfinder scheme with Greater Manchester being the first of the UK city regions to develop and implement a bus franchising scheme under the Bus Services Act 2017 and is expected to act as a blueprint for a number of other city regions to follow in the near future.
- Advising a nuclear sector site licensed company (SLC) on its multi-billion pound procurement for a Decommissioning and Nuclear Waste Partnership. Andy is advising on the procurement strategy and full range of procurement documentation including development of evaluation criteria across all five lots on this critical procurement to facilitate the ongoing remediation, retrieval and management of nuclear waste from one of the UK’s legacy nuclear energy sites.
- Advising the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority on the procurement of a novel solution to treat radiologically contaminated asbestos using an innovation partnership procurement procedure.
- Advised a city region local authority on its re-procurement for waste disposal and processing services and associated works. Andy advised on a range of procurement documents and strategy for this high-profile multi-lot procurement which utilised the competitive dialogue procedures. Andy also advised during the evaluation and moderation process to mitigate procurement challenge risk.
- Advised a private sector healthcare client on a number of NHS procurement including responses during the standstill period and on the merits of challenges to the procurement process.
- College of Law Chester, LPC, Distinction, 2012
College of Law Chester, GDL, Distinction, 2011
- University of Bristol, BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science), 2001
- The Procurement Bill; Contract Management, Exclusions and the Challenge Process: 25 April 2023;
- The Procurement Bill: Sector Specific Regimes: 5 December 2022;
- The Procurement Bill: Planning and Commencing a Procurement: 4 October 2022; and
- The UK Procurement Bill: Why are we here – an overview of the Bill and its potential impact.