Head of Capital Markets, Southeast Asia
Joe Bauerschmidt has over 30 years of capital markets and M&A experience. He has worked on more than 400 deals, successfully raising a combined total of USD70 billion. His principal focus is on representing leading international investment banks and corporate issuers with securities offerings, liability management and restructurings in the public and private capital markets.
Joe has completed a large number of venture capital and mid-size private equity deals, with a particular focus on Fintech and technology-driven disruptive businesses. He has worked on numerous NASDAQ, NYSE, Singapore and Indonesia IPOs and more than 90 high-yield financings throughout Asia.
Joe’s work in Singapore includes IPOs, SPACs, and other offerings for Temasek, CapitaCommercial Trust, K-REIT, Starhill Global REIT, Pacific Internet, OCBC, SATS, SIAEC, UTAC, ARA, and Abbey National, and proposed offerings for Singapore Power, Samudra Energy, ECnet, BexCom, First Shipping Lease Trust and Catcha.com.
He has been engaged in Indonesian transactions since 1992, advising companies including PT Berau Coal Energy Tbk, PT Antam, PT Karyadibya Mahardika, PT Freeport Indonesia, PT Bukit Makmur Mandiri Utama (BUMA), PT Pertamina (Persero), PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk, Niko Resources Indonesia, PT Yudistira Bumi Energi, PT Bumi Serpong Damai Tbk, PT Ciliandra Perkasa, PT Alam Sutera, PT Medco Energi International, and PT Riau Andalan Pulp and Paper (RAPP).
Joe advises issuers and underwriters in structuring, negotiating and restructuring high yield bonds, IPOs and SPACs. He has worked with clients throughout Asia, including Indonesia, China, Macau, Hong Kong, Thailand, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, India, and Vietnam, and in Mexico, Canada, the UK and the US. He represented the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka on its maiden sovereign bond offering, Finance Asia's bond deal of the year for 2007.
Joe spent several years working as an engineer in the oil and gas industry and then began his legal career on Wall Street before moving to Asia in 1997.
- Advising on various SPAC transactions with an aggregate value of over USD25 billion, including the MNC Group and its subsidiary PT Asia Vision Networks in a USD573 million merger with Malacca Straits Acquisition Corp (the SPAC) and six SEC-registered SPAC PIPEs investments totalling over USD2.5 billion
- Advising PT Karyadibya Mahardhika and PT Surya Mustika Nusantara in their USD677 million (USD1 billion enterprise value) sale to Japan Tobacco International, cementing JTI's entry into the world's second largest cigarette market
- Advising Surbana Jurong Pte Ltd, a Temasek Holdings portfolio company, in its AUD451 million acquisition of SMEC, an Australian engineering consultancy with 10,000 employees in 42 countries, in which it operated by way of a Scheme of Arrangement
- Representing RRJ Capital II Limited, and affiliates of Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited, and Seatown Holdings Pte. Ltd. in connection with their purchase of USD1 billion aggregate principal amount of Unsecured Convertible PIK Notes due 2021 issued by Cheniere Energy, Inc., a Houston-based energy company primarily engaged in LNG related businesses
- Advising PT Berau Coal Energy Tbk in connection with its proposed restructuring of USD950 million of high yield bonds, the issuance of its USD500 million Rule 144A and Regulation S 7.25% Guaranteed Secured Senior Notes due 2017, and many other corporate assignments and offerings
- Advising Thai banks in their recapitalizations, including Siam Commercial Bank Pcl's USD1.75 billion share and warrant offering and Krung Thai Bank Pcl's USD800 million secondary share offering
- Advising on Indonesian high-yield bond issuances, proposed issuances, transaction liability management and restructurings for PT Berau Coal Energy Tbk proposed (USD950 million and seven previous transactions), PT Ciliandra Perkasa (USD160 million), PT Bukit Makmur Mandiri Tbk (USD320 million), PT Davomas Abadi (USD238 million and three other issuances), PT Alam Sutera Realty Tbk (proposed USD100 million), PT Enercoal Resources Tbk and affiliates (USD3 billion of issuances), PT Sulfindo (proposed USD110 million), PT Energi Mega Persada Tbk (proposed USD220 million), PT Bakrie & Bros.(proposed USD110 million), PT Riau Andalan Pulp and Paper (RAPP) (USD300 million)
- Advising on key Indonesian rights issues and other equity offerings including PT Aneka Tambang (Persero) Tbk (proposed USD400 million) and PT Bumi Serpong Damai Tbk (USD550 million)
- Advising on Malaysian debt offerings with Petronas Bhd, Tenaga Nasional Bhd (USD600 million, USD400 million, USD250 million), MISC Bhd. (Proposed USD600 million, and share offerings for Air Asia Bhd(USD79 million), Air Asia X Bhd (USD28 million), Tune Ins Bhd (USD58 million), Bumi Armada Bhd (USD381 million), Maxis Bhd (USD747 million), and SapuraKencana Bhd (USD250 million)
- Advising the Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka on its maiden USD500 million international bond offering (FinanceAsia's sovereign deal-of-the-year), the Hellenic Republic of Greece on its maiden USD500 million bond offering, and Vietnam, Sweden and Israel on their sovereign bond offerings
- University of Notre Dame, J.D. magna cum laude, Executive Editor of Notre Dame Law Review, 1991
- University of Michigan, B.S. in Chemical Engineering, National Merit Finalist, Regent's Scholar, 1981
Awards and recognition
- Ranked lawyer, Capital Markets: International, Singapore, Chambers Global and Asia-Pacific 2022 to 2023
- Recommended lawyer, Capital Markets: Equity and Debt; Corporate and M&A, Singapore, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
- Recommended lawyer, Foreign Firms, Indonesia, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
- Recommended lawyer, Foreign Desks, Vietnam, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
- Highly regarded, Capital Markets, M&A and Energy, Singapore, IFLR1000 2017-22
Memberships And Affiliations
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, The Law Society of Singapore
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Lanvin Group on USD1 billion de-SPAC merger to go public on New York...
21 December 2022 .3 minute read
DLA Piper advises leading Indonesian consumer goods and agricultural business on IPO
13 December 2021