Luc Bigel is a specialist in insurance and reinsurance laws, acting as advisor or litigator and in transactional matters.
Luc regularly advises insurance undertakings, reinsurers, banks, mutuals, intermediaries and large groups, French or foreign, on all their insurance (life and non-life), reinsurance and insurance distribution issues, both in terms of advice and litigation.
Luc has extensive expertise in regulatory law, assisting market players in all their issues arising from Solvency 2 regulations, compliance, cross-border insurance activities, AML-FT and relations and procedures with supervisory authorities in France (ACPR, ORIAS) or abroad.
As a litigator, he assists his clients in strategic litigation, in particular before the ACPR, but also before the judicial or arbitration courts in the areas of insurance, reinsurance or commercial distribution relationships.
On a transactional level, he regularly participates in restructuring operations of insurers or intermediaries (in particular mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs) and in issues related to portfolio transfers or run-off / legacy in France and abroad. Luc also has extensive experience in delegations, outsourcing, distribution protocols, policy writing (life and non-life), W&I insurance deals, coinsurance and reinsurance.
Luc has been teaching insurance and regulatory law for many years at Paris I Sorbonne and has been appointed to serve on the Editorial Board of LexisNexis UK, in particular for insurance and ESG issues.
- Advising foreign insurers and reinsurers through licensing and portfolio transfer procedures with ACPR in France.
- Assistance to mutual insurance companies in the context of a restructuring project leading to a merger.
- Advising insurers in the context of setting up an EEIG.
- Advising insurers in the drafting and review of insurance policies, in particular with regard to exclusion clauses in the event of pandemics and epidemics.
- Advising insurers and intermediaries in setting-up national and cross-border insurance distribution schemes.
- Assistance to intermediaries and insurers in the context of disciplinary and control procedures initiated by ACPR.
- Assistance to insurers and pension funds in reorganizing their governance system and meeting their obligations with respect to outsourcing schemes.
- Assistance to insurers and intermediaries in the review of the product surveillance and governance system (POG).
- Assistance to insurers in insurtech-related issues and in particular in the implementation of policies dedicated to blockchain operations.
- Assistance to an insurer in the context of strategic litigation that may give rise to a risk of serial litigation in the field of pecuniary loss insurance.
- Legal 500 – Insurance – Tier 1 – 2022
- Gold medal awarded by the Legal & Business Forum for the article "Brexit in insurance: no wait and see for the French government" (published on Les Echos Executives).
- Silver medal awarded by the Legal & Business Forum for the article "What insurance for tomorrow’s world?" (published on the Echos Executives)
- Rising Star for “ Insurance & Reinsurance” at the IFLR
- Silver Medal - Palmarès du Droit - Insurance Sector (Monde du droit and Association Française des Juristes en Entreprise).
- Article: « Lutte contre le blanchiment : piqûre de rappel de la commission des sanctions de l’ACPR », L’Argus de l’Assurance, July 2021
- Article: « Le renouveau des captives d’assurance », Option Finance, June 2021
- Article: « Captives d'assurance : une alternative crédible dans un marché difficile », L'Argus de l'Assurance, April 2021
- Article: « Une réforme et des interrogations », La Tribune de l’assurance, April 2021
- Blog post: “Brexit for the insurance sector – Cross border business between the EU and the UK”, DLA Piper Insights, March 2021
- Analysis: « L'autorégulation du courtage : une réforme à marche forcée », L’Argus de l’assurance, February 2021
- Article: « Crise sanitaire : une occasion pour repenser les mécanismes assurantiels », La Tribune de l’assurance, January 2021
- Article: « Quelle assurance pour le monde d’après ? », Option Finance, September 2020
- Analysis: « Pertes d'exploitation : la portée juridique de la décision d'Axa contre le restaurateur », L’argus de l’assurance, May 2020
- Article: « COVID-19 - Quelle assurance pour le monde d'après ? », Les Echos Executives, May 2020
- Blog post: “Insurance investments post-lockdown: Ensuring stable returns in an unstable world”, DLA Piper Insights, August 2020
- Blog post: “COVID-19 The Governmental Response in France”, DLA Piper Insights, April 2020
- Blog post: “Le secteur de l’assurance à l’épreuve du coronavirus », DLA Piper Insights, March 2020
- Article: « Assurance, transformation numérique & impact réglementaire », Les Echos, January 2020
- Blog post: “Comprendre et intégrer la révolution assurtech », DLA Piper Insights, October 2019
- Article: « Brexit en assurance : pas de wait and see pour le gouvernement français », Les Echos Executives, September 2019
- Book: "Comprendre et intégrer la révolution assurtech » (L'argus de l'assurance", (Book - 120 pages), Collection les Essentiels de l'assurance, Edition l'Argus de l'assurance, September 2019
- Article: "La distribution d'assurance à l'épreuve des robots", l'Argus de l'assurance, September 2019
- Article: "The French government anticipates a hard Brexit", l'Argus de l'assurance, April 2019
- Chapter: "Insurance & Digital Transformation", Livre blanc : Le numérique et ses déclinaisons sectorielles, Lettre des Juristes d’Affaires (LJA), March 2019
- Article: "Anti-money laundering - the alarm of the ACPR", l'Argus de l'assurance, November 2018
- Cocktails: « L'impact réglementaire des assurtech sur le marché de l'assurance », October 2019
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Luc worked in an international law firm.
- Lecturer at the Professional Training School of the Paris Court of Appeal (EFB)
- Luc was selected to serve on LexisNexis UK Consulting Editorial Board particularly for insurance & ESG matters.
Memberships And Affiliations
- International Association of Insurance Law (AIDA)
- French Association of Risk Management and Insurance Professionals (AMRAE)
- Union of Young Insurers and Reinsurers of France (UJARF)