Petra is a commercial real estate litigator in our national real estate litigation practice with over 20 years’ experience of advising real estate clients not just in the real estate sector, but also in a variety of other sectors including the Industrials sector, the Infrastructure, Construction and Transport sector and the Energy and Natural Resources sector (where Petra is the UK Extractives Lead with clients being largely minerals operators), the real estate litigation and UK domestic and international mining and minerals categories.
She is recognised in both Legal 500 and Chambers UK as a Leading Lawyer / Band 1 lawyer in each of the real estate litigation and UK domestic and international mining and minerals categories.
Petra’s clients are varied and include National Highways Limited, UPS, Tarmac (CRH PLC), Aggregate Industries UK (LafargeHolcim), Tata Steel UK, CBRE Ltd and Oval Real Estate.
- Leading a national team of lawyers, working closely with National Highways Limited and the Government Legal Department, as well as a counsel team of 10 (including 3 KC’s) to secure High Court injunctions against Persons Unknown and 143 named defendants associated with the Insulate Britain and Just Stop Oil protest campaigns affecting the M25 and other roads within the national strategic road network. This has attracted a lot of media coverage and following breaches of the injunctions obtained, the team have pursued successful contempt of injunction proceedings against a number of the protestors, achieving both immediate and suspended prison sentences; including what is a first in law due to the extent of geographical spread, obtaining a nationwide injunction across roads within the strategic road network.
- University of Bristol, Law LLB (Hons), 1991
- 'Petra Billing is an inspirational leader. Her knowledge of the mines and minerals world, its law and practices is unrivalled' - Legal 500, 2020 - Band 1/ Leading Individual
- Clients appreciate the team's "swift turnaround, efficiency and ability to see the bigger picture." Clients describe Petra as "extremely competent, very honest and able to provide clear strong advice." Sources say "the team offers "very good value for money." - Chambers UK - Band 1
- 2000 to date, Partner, DLA Piper
- 1996 to 2000, Senior Solicitor, UK based commercial property firm
- 1992 to 1996, Associate, UK based law firm
Memberships And Affiliations
Petra is a member of the Law Society, Property Litigation Association and is the firm’s lead for the firm’s associate membership of the Mineral Products Association.