Jessie E. Black practises in the areas of corporate/commercial law, construction law, occupational health and safety law, mergers & acquisitions, real estate law, pensions & benefits law.
Jessie has experience in construction matters and disputes, including builders’ liens and occupational health and safety/safety code matters.
Jessie also practises in the area of pensions and benefits trust law where she provides advice to sponsors, governing bodies, and administrators of pensions and benefits plans. Jessie has experience in administrative law and provides advice to delegated administrative tribunals.
She has represented clients before the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, Alberta Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories and the Court of Appeal for the Northwest Territories.
Jessie is one of the contributing editors to the O’Brien’s Corporations Division II series (Alberta). These comprehensive collections of forms and precedents are now in their 11th edition.
Jessie joined the firm as a Student-at-Law in September 2013 and became an associate in 2014.
- Jessie successfully defended entities facing occupational health and safety charges.
- Jessie provided and continues to provide pro bono work to assist and advise Clients with their insurance claims and issues resulting from the Fort McMurray, Alberta wildfire.
- Volunteer, HEROS: Hockey Education Reaching Out Society, Edmonton, 2013-2017
- Volunteer, CN Christmas Train Express, Edmonton, Alberta, 2016
- Volunteer, Hope Mission, Edmonton, Alberta, 2014
- Volunteer, United Way Campaign, Edmonton, Alberta, 2013
- Volunteer, Law Students' Legal Advice Program, University of British Columbia, 2013
- Treasurer, Canadian Student Law Society, University of Kent, 2012
- Volunteer, Hockey Coach, Female Peewee AAA Northern Alberta Selects Team, Edmonton, 2008 & 2010
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of Northwest Territories
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans