Cindy BorsShe/herSenior Associate
Cindy is a litigator with experience in defending complex class actions and involving product liability, regulatory action, consumer goods and public liability.
Cindy’s experience includes defending class actions, tortious claims and commercial disputes in the life sciences, consumer goods and insurance sectors. She regularly acts for ASX listed companies, international insurers and multinational companies in claims involving misleading and deceptive conduct, negligence and breach of contract.
Cindy is an American and Australian dual citizen originally from New York. She is a founding director of the North American Australian Lawyers Alliance (NAALA) and the Asia-Pac Co-Lead of Iris.
- Defending an ASX-listed company regarding alleged wage underpayment in a Federal Court Class Action (ongoing).
- Acting for a global insurer in relation to a nationwide recall of consumer goods in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
- Client was successful on all accounts including payment of its legal costs.
- Defending an international medical device company in relation to litigation relating to an allegedly defective medical device distributed in Australia (ongoing).
- Obtained favourable resolution of litigation related to a death allegedly arising out of an international recall of a medical device.
- Frequently acts in tortious claims involving public spaces, amusement rides, childcare centres and industrial spaces. Has a track record of successfully negotiating “bear own costs” settlements on litigated tortious claims.
- Obtained a “no negligence” finding following a coronial investigation into a high profile death.
- Experienced in handling sensitive matters including coronial investigations and incidents involving children.
Cindy provides pro bono legal assistance to Youthlaw’s Legal Pod Program, is a SPEAK Mental Health Ambassador and is the Asia-Pac Co-Lead for DLA Piper’s Iris network for LGBT+ staff and allies.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Vice President of the North American Australian Lawyers Alliance Inc
- Law Institute of Victoria
- International Bar Association
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Women in Insurance (Victoria)