Jonathan BrownSenior Associate
Jonathan Brown is an experienced corporate commercial and securities lawyer. Based in Calgary, Jonathan's practice is focused on corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions.
Jonathan has experience representing public and private companies across a range of industries, such as technology, energy, mining, industrial and cannabis. His expertise includes:
- Public offerings, including initial public offerings (IPOs).
- Private placement financings of equity and debt.
- Mergers, acquisitions and takeovers, including TSX Venture Exchange reverse takeovers and qualifying transactions.
- Stock exchange listings.
- Corporate reorganizations and restructurings.
- Joint venture agreements, partnerships and other corporate combinations.
- Assisting companies with their day-to-day compliance with securities and corporate legislation and stock exchange polices.
In addition, Jonathan regularly acts for start-up companies providing strategic advice on the formation, capitalization and growth of such companies.
- Acted for Granite Oil Corp. in transaction with International Petroleum Corporation providing for the acquisition by IPC of the issued and outstanding shares of Granite Oil for cash consideration of $0.95 per Share.
- Acted for a private oil and gas company in connection with its sale to a Toronto Stock Exchange listed oil and gas company for $320 million by way of plan of arrangement.
- Acted for a Toronto Stock Exchange listed oil and gas company in connection with its $125 million bought deal equity financing.
- Acted for a private online gaming company in connection with its listing on the TSX Venture Exchange and the related qualifying transaction and financing.
- Acted for a TSX Venture Exchange capital pool company in connection with its qualifying transaction with a private mobile technology company.
- Acted for a private oil and gas company in connection with its sale pursuant to a $126 million exempt takeover bid transaction with a Toronto Stock Exchange listed oil and gas company.
- Acted for a Toronto Stock Exchange listed oil and gas company in connection with its $140 million acquisition (by way of plan of arrangement) of a TSX Venture Exchange listed oil and gas company.
- Acted for a TSX Venture Exchange listed technology company in connection with its business combination with a private California technology company.
- Acted for a TSX Venture Exchange listed mineral exploration company with connection with its business combination (by way of plan of arrangement) with a TSX Venture Exchange listed mineral exploration company.
- Acted as counsel for numerous private start-up companies in connection with a wide range of corporate transactions, including seed capital financings and share and asset acquisitions and divestitures.
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 2006
- B.A., University of British Columbia, 2002
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada acted for the underwriters in $75 million bought deal offering for...
15 June 2022 .1 minute read
DLA Piper Canada advised Carbon Neutral Royalty on $28 million financing
24 April 2022 .2 minute read