Patrick W. BurgessCounsel
Patrick Burgess is a corporate lawyer with deep experience in energy law, in particular in the oil and gas sector.
Pat has assisted clients in the energy business as both a legal and financial advisor for over 38 years. His practice encompasses all aspects of energy law, including domestic and international oil and gas, property acquisitions and dispositions, property exchanges and diverse joint venture transactions. Pat’s clients include private and public corporations and former energy trusts, both in Canada and the United States, as well as international mining and E&P corporations.
Pat assists clients in all aspects of their transactions, including the establishment of their new corporations, and related financings. He has considerable experience with international energy and M&A transactions relating to joint drilling arrangements, joint ventures, geothermal drilling contracts and international asset acquisitions.
Pat also has extensive experience with midstream transactions of most types, including drafting and negotiating C,O & O Agreements, processing and transportation, crude oil blending agreements, and contracts relating to various energy industry facility and infrastructure projects. He has provided advice relating to complex operational issues and the interpretation of industry agreements including farmout agreements, pooling agreements, operating agreements, royalty agreements, freehold leases and facilities agreements.
Lexpert regularly lists Pat as one of “Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers” in their special edition on energy published by The Globe and Mail’s Report on Business magazine (2003, 2004, 2015-2022). He has also been recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada in the areas of Corporate Law, Energy Law and Natural Resources Law (2020-2022), and by Legal 500 Canada for Corporate Law, M&A and Energy.
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1983
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Law), 2020-2023; (Energy Law), 2020-2023; (Natural Resources Law), 2020-2023
- Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers, Lexpert Special Edition – Energy, 2003, 2004, 2015-2012
- The Legal 500 Canada (Corporate Law, M&A and Energy), 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Energy - Oil & Gas), 2018-2022
- International Advisory Experts, Energy Law Award for Canada, 2018-2020
- Co-author, “Recent Judicial Development of Interest to Energy Lawyers”, Alberta Law Review, Petroleum Law Edition, Vol. 51, No. 2, December 2013
- Co-author, “The USDR – Good News for Fort McMurray is Bad News for Some Industry Players”, CAPL Negotiator, November 2013
- Author, “Alberta’s Bill 2 – A New Era of Energy Regulation?”, Milestone GRP Alberta, Canada – Energy Global Investor’s Guide, 2013
- Co-author, “Recent Judicial Development of Interest to Energy Lawyers”, Alberta Law Review, Petroleum Law Edition, Vol. 48, No. 2, December 2010
- Author, “It’s Time to Stop All This Intermingling”, CAPL Negotiator, November 2009
- Author, “Recent Judicial Development of Interest to Energy Lawyers”, Alberta Law Review, Petroleum Law Edition, Vol. 31, No. 1, December 1993
- Quoted, "Bankruptcy Ruling Piles More Gloom On Canadian Oil Cos.," Law360, February 4, 2019
- Governor, Canadian Energy Executive Association 2013 – 2016 & 2018
- Corporate Secretary, Pulse Seismic Inc. 2018 – 2019
- Active Supporter and Honorary Member, Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Member and former President and Board Member (1990 – 1998), The Glencoe Club and The Glencoe Golf & Country Club
- Member, Calgary Petroleum Club
Memberships And Affiliations
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
- Explorers and Producers Association of Canada
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Board of Directors, Canadian Energy Law Foundation
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Petroleum Joint Venture Association
- PADA Energy Society
- International Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada lawyers recognized in 2022 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
4 March 2022 .59 minute read
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP recognized in the 2022 Best Lawyers in Canada guide
25 August 2021 .66 minute read