Andrew Burton is a member of the firm’s national Projects, Energy and Infrastructure and Corporate groups.
Andrew’s P3/Projects experience includes advising the successful proponent on a number of projects which have reached financial close, including the LAX Automated People Mover, Niagara Entertainment Centre, Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail, Ottawa (Confederation Line) Light Rail, Billy Bishop Toronto Airport Pedestrian Tunnel, Quinte Consolidated Courthouse, Ontario Provincial Police Modernization projects in Ontario, the Golden Ears Bridge, Kicking Horse Canyon and William R. Bennett Bridge projects in British Columbia and the Calgary Ring Road, Edmonton Ring Road and Alberta Schools II projects in Alberta.
Andrew has advised short-listed proponents on several projects across Canada including several RER Design-Build Finance projects in Toronto, Ontario, the Edmonton Light Rail, Regina Bypass, Waterloo Light Rail, East Rail Maintenance Facility, Toronto Air Rail Link, Sheppard Maintenance Facility, Windsor-Essex Parkway, Ontario Highway Services Centre, Durham Courthouse, Bridgepoint Hospital, Port Mann Bridge/Highway 1, Surrey Outpatient Facility, Niagara Health System, North Bay Regional Health Center, Disraeli Bridges projects, and has acted for senior lenders on the North Commuter Parkway and Traffic Bridge Project in Saskatoon, the Penticton Regional Hospital Patient Care Tower Project, the Regina Wastewater Project, Toronto South Detention Centre and Waterloo Region Consolidated Courthouse.
Andrew has also advised teams bidding on projects in the United States including the LAX Automated People Mover Project, the CONRAC Project in Los Angeles and the Colorado Central-70 Project.
Andrew advises on all aspects of P3 transactions including with respect to project agreements, principal subcontracts and finance issues. Andrew is ranked as a leading practitioner by Chambers Global and is recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" by The Legal 500 Canada in the area of Projects: P3 & Infrastructure.
Andrew also has extensive experience in general corporate/commercial work in the ports & shipping, infrastructure, energy and road & rail sectors including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate finance transactions and drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial agreements. In relation to ports and shipping sector work, Andrew’s experience includes advising major marine port terminal operators and shipping companies in relation to the development of new marine port terminals and the acquisition of control and minority positions and establishment of joint ventures in marine port terminals. In relation to energy sector work, Andrew’s experience includes advising an infrastructure fund manager in connection with a 900 megawatt combined cycle natural gas-fired generating facility in Alberta.
Before joining the firm, Andrew practised as a corporate lawyer for a leading law firm in London, England. He is a law graduate of Cambridge University and completed a Master of Laws degree in law and economics at the University of British Columbia. He is qualified to practise law in British Columbia, Ontario, England and Wales*.
* Non-practising in England & Wales
- Acted for Capital City Link General Partnership on the Northeast Anthony Henday Drive Project, a Public-Private Partnership (P3) with the government of Alberta, to design, build, finance and operate the northeast leg of the Edmonton Ring Road.
- Acted for the Rideau Transit Group Partnership on the commercial and financial close to design, build, finance and maintain the $2.1 billion Confederation Line, the City of Ottawa's first light rail transit system.
- Acted for Crosslinx Transit Solutions on the commercial and financial close of the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Project with a capital cost of approximately $5.3 billion.
- Acted for the successful design-build joint venture with respect to the LAX Automated People Mover project in Los Angeles, California.
- LL.M., University of British Columbia, 2004
- B.A. in Law (Honours), University of Cambridge, 1994 (M.A., 1998)
- Leading Lawyer, The Legal 500 Canada (Infrastructure and Projects), 2019-2023
- The Legal 500 Canada (Infrastructure and Projects), 2014-2019, 2021-2023 (Public Procurement), 2014-2017
- Chambers Canada (Projects: PPP & Infrastructure), 2016-2023
- Chambers Global (Projects: PPP & Infrastructure), 2013-2022
- Listed as Acritas Star™ Lawyer 2019-2020