Erik BuzzardOf Counsel
Erik Buzzard is a commercial litigator with nearly three decades of experience representing clients across multiple industries in a broad range of insurance, commercial and business litigation, and employment matters, including contract disputes, and product liability and toxic tort defense.
Erik has represented insurance companies in coverage matters, including breach of contract and tort actions, and he routinely works with insurers and claims adjusters on the defense of complex civil litigation matters throughout the United States. His practice includes litigation, appellate work, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution.
Erik's accomplishments include the following:
- Prevailed for insurance carrier on motion to dismiss California construction defect liability coverage action filed by insured developer as improper venue for coverage claims in violation of terms of policy, and as forum shopping
- Prevailed for insurance carrier on motion to dismiss multiple Washington State COVID-19 business interruption coverage actions filed by insured nationwide health club chain as improper venue for claims, and as forum shopping
- Won insurance coverage judgment and recovery for developer of multiple million in defense fees and costs incurred in underlying construction defect claims against carriers denying coverage
- Won insurance coverage judgment and recovery for developer under "contractor liability exclusion" and "expected or intended injury exclusion"
- Won defense judgment for residential and commercial developer from bodily injury claims by off road biker in Nevada Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
- Won defense judgment for residential and commercial developer in motorcycle injury and premises liability suit based upon construction defects
- Won defense judgment and appeal in favor of global shipping company in trucking accident lawsuit involving 9 injuries and one death based upon Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations
- Won defense judgment affirmed by California Court of Appeal, in wrongful death suit brought by real estate developer against internet forum service provider per US Communications Decency Act Section 230, and anti-SLAPP laws
- Won judgment in nationwide and California class action litigation against commercial air carrier and Defense Department contractors from suits claiming violation of passenger privacy rights through unlawful transfer of passenger information
- Successfully settled Multiple-Billion Dollar California wildfire claims for property damage, personal injury and wrongful death against utility subcontractor
- J.D., University of California at Los Angeles School of Law 1992
- B.S., University of California at Berkeley School of Business 1989
Before joining DLA Piper, Erik was a partner of the California office of a US law firm.
Memberships And Affiliations
Erik was a 10 year board member of Radiant Health Centers of Orange County California.