Daniela Călin LLBSenior Associate
Daniela Călin’s areas of activity and specialization include civil procedure and arbitration, administrative law, public procurement and construction law. During her activity as a lawyer, she was involved in domestic and international arbitration proceedings related to contractual disputes, investments in the infrastructure and transport sectors, as well as in various types of national litigation regarding public procurement, gambling, insurance and administrative and fiscal litigation.
Daniela has a solid academic background both in arbitration - as a graduate of the International Arbitration Master and in civil procedure - as a doctoral student at the University of Bucharest.
- Assisting and representing a multinational insurance company and its Romanian branch, in a criminal and insurance matter whereby an energy distributor, who is insured by the client for liability, stands as suspect in relation to a fire which occurred in December 2015 and destroyed buildings owned by two companies.
- We have just been instructed by a South Korean industrial conglomerate to also review their case in relation to enforcing the assets and shares of another 5 photovoltaic plants.
- Assisting and represented a global leader in eye care in an administrative procedure in which the award of the tender to the client was challenged before the competent court.
- Advising one of the world's largest online betting operators in complex litigations aimed to challenge several decisions of the National Office for Gambling. The purpose of such litigations is for the client to recover its rights to operate online gambling activities in Romania and be reimbursed substantial amounts paid to the Romanian state budged under an amnesty policy enacted in 2015 for the online gambling sector.
- Our litigation and employment teams continue to advise a large CEE low-cost airline in several complex "class action" employment litigations in relation to extensive salary rights claims (requiring sophisticated expertise analyses), alleged discrimination claims, challenges against terminations of employees for various reasons, extensive moral damages claims and challenges against enforcement claims.
- Representing a global, science-led, biopharmaceutical company in a complex administrative dispute regarding the partial annulment of the Health Ministry's Order establishing the price for medicines.
- Representing a local beer producer in a litigation against the national customs authority having as object the challenge of the tariff classification of one if its beer brands.
- Representing a security solutions based on advanced technologies company in an international arbitral proceedings against a local procurement public entity arising in connection with the production and delivery of military defence systems for the Romanian Ministry of Defence. The dispute is related to the performance of a contract awarded through public tender and involves sensible matters related to contractual liability, incidence of force majeure cases and delay causes occurring during the performance of the contract.
- Advising the a gaming company in Romania with their day-to-day business, relevant legal requirements, and payment of gambling license fees. Also assisted the client with respect to potential implications of the merger with another group of companies on the Romania jurisdiction and operations. Following such merger, also started to provide legal advice to the resulted companies that have presence in Romania.
- Acting for a gaming group with respect to obtaining a class II gambling license in Romania for Inspired Gaming (UK) Limited. As so, we handled their applications with the gambling regulator in order to obtain the necessary approvals, as well as their tax registration. This latter aspect of our advice also involved our coordination with their appointed tax proxy and drafting of contractual documents to set up the framework related to compliance with fiscal requirements.
- University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law, Masters in Arbitration Law, 2014
- University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law, LLB in Law, 2013
- Collège Juridique Franco-Roumaine des Etudes Européennes, Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Maîtrise en Droit Européen et International des Affaires, 2013
Collège Juridique Franco-Roumaine des Etudes Européennes, Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, License en Droit, 2012
- May 2019 - present: DLA Piper Romania, Managing Associate
- December 2016 - April 2019: DLA Piper Romania, Associate
- 2013-16: Local law firm, Associate
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Bucharest Bar and of the National Union of Romanian Bars