Alexandre B. CalmonPartner
Alexandre Calmon has over 20 years of experience in matters related to natural resources. He focuses his practice on regulatory and transactional matters involving large operations for clients in the energy, mining, and oil and gas industries.
Alexandre is experienced in oil and gas concession contracts for both onshore and offshore environments, production-sharing contracts, judgments of acquittal (JOA), farm-in and farm-out operations, joint business agreements (JBA), commercialization contracts, midstream oil and gas projects, natural gas transportation contracts, and natural gas purchase and sale contracts.
He has published papers discussing regulatory frameworks in the oil and gas industry and frequently lectures at public and private institutions in Brazil and abroad.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Professor of Commercial/Corporate Law, Escola de Direito da Universidade Santa Úrsula, 2004–2006
- Assistant Professor of Corporate Law, Escola de Direito da Universidade Santa Úrsula, 2002–2004
- Professor of Decomissioning, Refining Law, Regulatory Aspects of Data Acquisition and Regulatory Aspects of Oil and Gas Transportation, Oil and Gas MBA program, Instituto de Pesquisa, Educação e Tecnologia da Universidade Católica de Petrópolis, 2020–2021
- Extension Course in Corporate Law and Capital Markets, Fundação Getúlio Vargas
- Extension Course on the US Legal System, The George Washington University
- Bachelor of Law, Universidade Cândido Mendes
- Chambers and Partners Global, Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas, 2011–2021
- Chambers and Partners Latin America, Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas, 2009–2019
- Chambers and Partners Brazil, Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas, 2020 and 2021
- Who's Who Legal, Energy, 2009–2021
- Who's Who Legal, Mining, 2009–2021
- Legal 500 Latin America, Energy and Natural Resources: Oil & Gas, 2009–2021
- The International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers, 2010–2018
- Análise Advocacia 500, Oil and Gas: Band 1, 2016–2021
- "Star in Oil and Gas," Who’s Who Legal, 2018
- "Extremely courteous and intelligent," with "vast experience and knowledge of the sector." A client also commends "his excellent and extensive oil and gas regulatory and contractual knowledge," adding: "He is always available to attend urgent matters."
– Chambers Global, 2021
- "Alexandre has a strategic approach, provides innovative solutions and has great capacity to assist clients with complex issues," and concludes: "He has great emotional intelligence and knows how to apply it to make sure he achieves the best solutions in complex negotiations."
– Chambers Brazil, 2021
- "The best lawyer in O&G in Brazil today is Alexandre Bittencourt Calmon. His experience and capacity excels due to his sensibility in understanding the client’s needs and anticipating the necessary actions that need to be taken in relation to each circumstance. Because of his solid knowledge in upstream and midstream regulatory provisions, combined with his outstanding understanding of M&A deals, farm-ins/farm-outs, he is the most complete lawyer in O&G law today in Brazil."
– The Legal 500
Memberships And Affiliations
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), Rio de Janeiro
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) Model Contract Committee for Farmout Contracts – 2004 Revision
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (RMMLF)
- Co-Chair, International Committee, RMMLF
- Co-Chair, Oil and Gas Committee, RMMLF Special Institute on International Mining and Oil and Gas Law, 2023
- Co-Chair, Host Committee, RMMLF Special Institute on International Mining and Oil and Gas Law, 2019
- Program Committee, Oil and Gas, RMMLF Special Institute on International Mining and Oil and Gas Law, 2017
- Co-Chair, Oil and Gas, RMMLF Special Institute on International Mining and Oil and Gas Law, 2015
My latest insights
Campos Mello Advogados advises Carmo Energy in the closing of its acquisition of...
17 January 2023 .3 minute read
Campos Mello Advogados advises Starboard in joint acquisition of Pampa Sul power plant in...
27 September 2022 .3 minute read