Fabio Perrone Campos MelloManaging Partner
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello is the Managing Partner of Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper and is based in the firm’s Rio de Janeiro office. He focuses his practice for over 20 (twenty) years on representing companies from the Real Estate, Hospitality & Leisure and Life Sciences industry sectors in transactional matters.
Fabio works alongside C level, investors, developers, managers, advising on matters from business formation and establishing investment platforms for clients moving into new markets for the first time, cross-border portfolio acquisitions and restructuring, as well as to real estate investments. Fabio’s services include guiding clients in the acquisition and disposition of corporate shareholdings or assets; executing due diligence procedures, divestitures, M&A transactions (including management buyouts and takeovers); assisting in the acquisition or transfer of ownership of equity interests, minority shareholdings and the structuring of public offerings of shares.
He also advises domestic and international companies in real estate matters. He focuses on the development of large-scale real estate, hospitality and leisure, built-to-suit, construction and infrastructure projects.
His portfolio of clients includes big pharmas, large medical devices companies, clinical research organizations, clinical trials sites, biotechs, multinationals which invest in the Real Estate sector, investment funds targeting those industries sectors, as well as big players from the Hospitality and Leisure sector.
As managing partner of CMA for over 10 years, Fabio was responsible for transforming CMA – until 2005, a firm focused in Real Estate – into a full-service firm, located in the most relevant financial centers in Brazil and other countries around the world. He also led the firm in the implementation of innovative digital governance and management standards.
In 2022 he taught a Magna class for law students at Faculdade Estácio de Sá. On the occasion, he addressed topics such as career development and perspectives for lawyers today.
Fabio received the title of "Lawyer of the year" by the "Best Lawyers" ranking at the end of 2019.
Recent editions of Chambers Latin America recognized Fabio as a leading individual in Corporate/M&A and Real Estate, being described by clients as "a lawyer with tremendous knowledge of international law and a Midas touch when it comes to drafting contracts" and also as "exceptionally client focused."
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello is lauded by sources as "an outstanding real estate lawyer" who is "widely recognised in the field". – Who’s Who Legal 2022
The Campos Mello real estate practice is composed of top flight practitioners. In addition to being the highest quality RE lawyers, they know the business dynamics of the local markets in Brazil. Moreover, they also are incredibly responsive to clients’ needs. I have nothing but the highest regard for Fabio Campos Mello and Ivandro Trevelim.’ – Legal 500 2021
Recent editions of Chambers Latin America recognized Fabio as a leading individual in Corporate/M&A and Real Estate, being described by clients as “a lawyer with tremendous knowledge of international law and a Midas touch when it comes to drafting contracts” and also as “exceptionally client focused.”
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello is singled out by sources for his negotiation skills: “It is a pleasure to work with him – he is proactive and skilful during negotiations.” He routinely represents leading names from the hospitality and leisure sector. - Chambers Latin America
Fabio Campos Mello, who takes the lead on corporate work and earns plaudits for his “professionalism and dedication to projects”. - Latin Lawyer, 2018
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello is a “remarkable” practitioner who draws international recognition for his work in the hospitality and leisure sectors. - Who’s Who Legal
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello earns endorsements worldwide as one of the foremost real estate lawyers in Brazil. - Who’s Who Legal
Fabio Perrone Campos Mello is a well-known figure in the Brazilian market and is recognised for his invaluable sector experience. - Who’s Who Legal
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Advised a global medical technology company in a spin-off transaction upon divestiture by JnJ of its Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP) business, a division of Ethicon, Inc.*, to Fortive Corporation (NYSE: FTV), for an aggregate value of approximately $2.8 billion, consisting of $2.7 billion of cash proceeds from Fortive Corpora-tion and $0.1 billion of retained net receivables. Her work encompassed legal issues from the in-corporation of a Brazilian legal entity and tax planning to the obtainment of the necessary li-cences before the Brazilian regulators of client’s business in Brazil
- CTF Development Inc. in the acquisition of 35% in the private equity fund incorporated to par-ticipate in the special purpose company created to explore the Cidade Matarazzo Project, a landmark high-end retail and hotel project in the city of São Paulo
- Italian infrastructure group Atlantia and its Brazilian subsidiary Autostrade Concessões e Participações Brasil on corporate, tax and con-tractual matters related to the creation of a R$3.3 billion joint venture with Grupo Bertin in one of the largest operations in the Brazilian in-frastructure sector. The resulting joint venture will be the largest Brazilian company special-ized in road concessions, managing a portfolio of more than 1,500 km in toll roads concentrat-ed in the states of São Paulo and Minas Gerais, with annual gross revenue around R$1 billion
- Ager Incorporações Imobiliárias, a Brazilian developer company based in Rio de Janeiro, in a R$ 500 million joint venture with global real es-tate investment firm GTIS Partners in order to perform real estate developments in Brazil
- Brazilian transportation and logistics Fink Group on acquiring a US$200 million equity stake (60%) in Santos Brasil, the company that manages the largest and busiest container port in Latin America
- Worldwide hotel operator and franchisor Mar-riott International on the US$47.5 million sale of JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, to an affiliate of US hospitality real estate compa-ny Host Hotels & Resorts
- Brazilian real estate developer Brookfield Resi-dential Properties on the US$ 242 million ac-quisition of real estate developer Tamboré
- Mexican pharmaceutical distributor group Casa Saba on the US$115 million acquisition of Bra-zilian drugstore chains Drogasmil and Farma-life, encompassing more than 100 stores
- US steel company Nucor Corporation on a US$80 million agreement with Brazilian mining group Vale to create a joint venture to con-struct and operate a green iron project for the production of pig iron
- Brazilian transportation and logistics Fink Group on acquiring controlling interest in logis-tics service provider Multiterminais Alfandega-dos do Brasil, through the exercise of preferen-tial rights, in conjunction with Gávea Inves-timentos
- Energy industry private equity and infrastruc-ture investor firm First Reserve Corporation in acquiring a 49% stake in DOF Subsea ASA from the DOF Group, a group that owns and oper-ates a fleet of offshore-/subsea vessels and also has engineering capacity to service the subsea market Transportation service provider TBS In-ternational on an agreement with Log-In Logística Intermodal, a subsidiary of Brazilian mining group Vale, to establish a partnership for the maritime transportation of break bulk and project cargo
- Pylos do Brasil Participações, subsidiary of Bel-gian real estate investor Pylos Group, on the acquisition of three office buildings in down-town Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. All buildings will undergo a modernization process, in estimated investments above €50 million
- Brazilian brewery Ambev, leader of the Latin America market and part of leading global brewery Anheuser-Busch InBev, on real estate aspects related to the US$65 million sale of a historic property (an old Brahma beer factory, in Rio de Janeiro) to a private equity fund man-aged by Prosperitas Investimentos. Developers will build in the property a commercial real es-tate development with a projected investment of US$215 million, expanding the Sambadrome Marquês de Sapucaí (‘Sambódromo’) in ac-cordance with the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games legislative package
- Hotel operator Marriott International on the US$47.5 million sale of JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, to an affiliate of US hospi-tality real estate company Host Hotels & Resorts
- An affiliate of global hospitality company Hyatt Hotels Corporation on the acquisition of a ma-jority interest in a 46,000 square meter ocean-front property in Barra da Tijuca, an upscale residential and commercial district of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the purpose of developing a 408-room Grand Hyatt hotel
- Portuguese investment group on the land ac-quisition and structuring of real estate mixed use developments (commercial, residential, ho-tel, mall and marina) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The ‘Marina Resort Residencial’ and ‘Rio Marina Resort Residencial’ projects encompassed a to-tal of 514 units, 932 boat slips and R$200 mil-lion in sales
- Club Med Reserva do Peró Resort on the legal restructuring of development in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- English hospitality investment group on the acquisition of land and development of an eco-friendly luxury boutique hotel in São Conrado, a high-profile district in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- OPM Harvard Business School, 2018-01
- LL.M., Corporate Law, New York University Law School, 2002
- Specialization, Foundations of American Law and Legal Education, Georgetown University, 2001
- Leading individual in Real Estate
Chambers Latin America: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
Who’s Who Legal Brazil: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
The Legal 500: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023
Leaders League - Brazil: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023
Analise 500: 2019
- Lawyer of The Year em Imobiliário
Best Lawyers: 2019
- Leading individual in Hospitality
Who’s Who Legal Brazil:2020 and 2022
- Leading individual in Corporate/M&A
Chambers Latin America: 2010, 2015 and 2016
IFRL 1000: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
The Legal 500: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2022
Leaders League - Brazil: 2016, 2017 and 2022
- Leading lawyer in M&A, Capital Markets, Banking and Project Finance
IFLR 1000: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
Excellence and Relationship
Campos Mello Advogados was the first full-service Brazilian law firm to consistently use the NPS (Net Promoter Score) method. In the last year, 2021, using the method, the firm achieved grade 89.
- Co-author, "Private Equity Finds a Home - The Important Regulation Facing Venture Capital Investors in Brazil," International Financial Law Review, 2009
- "The Boom of M&A Transactions in the Brazilian Real Estate Market, "International Real Estate Finance Review, 2008/2009
- Speaker, International Bar Association Conference, Miami, February 2009
- Speaker, "Investments in Brazil," Atlas Conference, New York, September 2008
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of YPO (Young Presidents Organization)
- Chairman of OAB/RJ Law Firm Management Committee
- Brazilian American Chamber of Commerce
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro chapters
- Brazilian Institute of Business Law (IBRADEMP)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
My latest insights
Campos Mello Advogados advises John Textor in acquisition of 90 percent share of Brazilian...
13 January 2022 .3 minute read