Carina CancelaSenior Associate
Carina is a dedicated, complete, extremely efficient and very intelligent lawyer. He has important leadership and coordination qualities, having helped me in projects of great complexity. She is above all a very sincere and honest person. I found in Carina a fundamental support for the expansion of the area of infrastructure and public law, during the period in which we worked together, with special emphasis on public-private partnerships and in Environmental Law - an area of practice in which he has depth of knowledge.
Carina has been a lawyer since 2007, currently working exclusively in the area of Environmental Law, developing legal and institutional environmental advisory activities in the litigation and advisory areas and carrying out due diligence and risk analysis. Has experience with legal feasibility studies of public infrastructure works and with topics related to Public and Environmental Law, such as regularization of rural properties, issues related to flora, licensing, pollutant emissions (especially odoriferous), sanitation, civil and administrative liability, controlled products, cultural heritage, traditional communities and fauna, among others. She has experience in negotiations with environmental agencies, with public prosecutors and other state agents and authorities.
Her experience comes from her work in an Environmental Consulting firm, a boutique Environmental Law firm and renowned law firms in the market.
With 15 years of experience in the market, its performance is not limited to specific sectors. As an example, legal advice to sanitation concessionaires, financial institutions, pharmaceutical, chemical, automotive and food industries, energy generation sector, agribusiness, mining, infrastructure ventures among many others, can be cited.
Due to her client-oriented performance, she was ranked by Revista Análise in 2020 as one of the most admired lawyers in the area of Environmental Law.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Acting in the defense of interests of the Collegiate of civil society organizations in the discussion on the Environmental Licensing of the Port of São Sebastião, São Paulo.
- Legal feasibility study of Line 17 of the São Paulo Metro for a Consortium of Companies participating in the Public Call for Private Public Participation with the State of São Paulo.
- Legal feasibility study of a housing project for the central region of the city of São Paulo for a Consortium of Companies participating in the Public Call for Private Public Participation with the State of São Paulo.
- Defense of interests in the administrative and judicial sphere of a port enterprise located in Pará, especially in relation to issues related to indigenous and traditional communities.
- Feasibility analysis of generating carbon credits in a reforestation project for sale in international markets to a foreign financial institution.
- Opinion of Legal Feasibility of Environmental Licensing of Mining Activity in a Specific Municipality of Minas Gerais.
- Participation in the legal analysis process regarding the acquisition of wind power plants, solar power plants and in Rio Grande do Norte, Ceará, Amazonas and Minas Gerais
- Participation in the legal analysis process regarding the acquisition of wind power plants, solar power plants and in Rio Grande do Norte, Ceará, Amazonas and Minas Gerais.
- Participation in the legal analysis process regarding the acquisition of a fertilizer plant, ventures in the nautical industry and food, pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
- Legal analysis of rural properties under environmental aspects for the purpose of acquisition by a foreign company, establishment of agribusiness ventures, compliance with environmental conditions, destination for planting area and/or environmental compensation and for reforestation projects as assets.
Master Business Administration, Environmental Management and Sustainability (Post-graduation lato sensu), Fundação Getúlio Vargas – FGV, 2013
Specialized in Environmental Law (Post-graduation lato sensu), UniFMU – Faculdades Metropolitanas Unidas, 2010
B.A., UniFMU – Faculdades Metropolitanas Unidas, 2007
Brief participation in the elaboration and review of a legal opinion for a civil society organization called The Commission for the Defense of Human Rights Dom Paulo Evaristo Arns ("Comissão ARNS") in favor of the defense of the Yanomami Indigenous Territory, in collaboration with partner Paulo de Bessa Antunes.
Publications and media
- Co-author, "With Federal Decree nº 11.075/2022, Brazil takes another step toward creating a carbon market," DLA Piper Latin America – Law Blog, August 15, 2022
- "Environmental Liabilities of the Property given in Guarantee and the Environmental Liability of Financial Institutions," Fiduciary Sale of Property and Other Guarantees São Paulo: Legal Focus, 2020 1st Edition
Acting in public-private partnership projects with the Governments of the State of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais in projects of subway transport, housing, rail and criminalistics institute. Acting in several port infrastructure projects in the states of São Paulo, Pará and Santa Catarina. Acting in demands related to the generation of carbon credits and payment for environmental services. Performance in financial operations and mergers and acquisitions limited to the environmental legal sphere, due dilligences and defense of interests in administrative and judicial proceedings and preventively of companies in the sanitation, mining, energy generation (solar, wind and hydroelectric), agroindustry, automotive, pharmaceutical, food, chemical, nautical transport, among other sectors.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), São Paulo