Jason CarliSenior Associate
Jason is a Senior Associate in the Tax group in Melbourne, practising in the areas of income tax, stamp duty and GST.
Jason has experience advising clients on the tax implications associated with mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, financing, infrastructure and property transactions, with a particular focus on international tax and cross border transactions. Jason also has significant experience in tax underwriting.
Jason advises clients in a range of sectors, including private equity, real estate, infrastructure, financial services, wealth management, energy and insurance.
- Acting for an insurance client to provide warranty and indemnity insurance for the acquisition of a group that owns and develops wind farms in Australia by a leading renewable energy company for more than AUD4 billion from a private equity firm.
- Advising a global infrastructure leader on the tax implications of their interest in a partnership established to construct and operate a renewable energy power station in New South Wales, including assistance with the drafting of the tax aspects of the transaction documents.
- Advising a medical equipment client on the tax implications of a global restructure, including the preparation of a private binding ruling to the ATO.
- Advising a multinational computer technology corporation on the tax implications of a restructure of their global intellectual property arrangements.
- Advising one of the leading private equity funds on the tax implications of various M&A transactions, including the structuring and financing of the transactions.
- Advising a large global infrastructure group on various matters, including advice in relation to the structuring and financing of its infrastructure assets.
- Advising clients on the transaction documents for various M&A deals.
- Advising clients on the application of the hybrid mismatch rules to their cross border arrangements.
- Advising all of the major warranty and indemnity (W&I) insurers operating in the Australian and Asian markets.
- Advising clients with respect to disputes with the ATO / State revenue offices, including assisting with the preparation of responses to RFIs, voluntary disclosures and objection letters.
- Monash University, Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Commerce
- College of Law, Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- Chartered Accounting, Graduate Diploma
- DLA publication regarding the payroll tax implications of the NSW Supreme Court decision in Thomas and Naaz Pty Ltd v Chief Commissioner of State Revenue 
- Australian Federal Budget 2023-24, 9 May 2023
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Institute of Victoria