Gonçalo Castro RibeiroHe/himPartner
Gonçalo Castro Ribeiro is a partner of the department, with more than 18 years experience in Banking and Finance. He specializes in structured finance, project finance, distressed debt deals, financial institutions regulatory issues and complex M&A transactions involving securities markets issues. He mainly advises lenders and other financial institutions, listed companies and private equity firms.
Gonçalo joined DLA Piper ABBC to respond to the sustained growth of the office and the growing needs of its clients in this sector, as well as develop the area of financial law in its various aspects. Gonçalo Castro Ribeiro focuses on distressed asset deals, project finance and financial regulatory issues.
Gonçalo regularly speaks and writes articles in several publications and he is a regular speaker at conferences and webinars, namely DD talks, such as:
– NPL market – moderator June 2021
– NPL Days 2021 about Portugal non-performing loans market, February 2021
– Financing of Real Estate, July, and September 2020 (about the financial aspects of real estate transactions).
- Advising a Real Estate and Hospitality Company on the bond facility issued in June 2019 and secured by several Portuguese assets, for the purpose of developing an aparthotel and real estate 100 million plus investment.
- Advising a Financial Services Company in a mezzanine exchangeable bond for financing of the project in Portugal. The transaction involved the issue of an innovative non-listed exchangeable bond under Portuguese law, which was the first implemented in the market. The structure also had to include a rigorous adaptation to specific project conditions, notably an existing senior lender.
- Advising a Bank & Loan Fund Sindicate in the negotiation and subscription of an innovative unitranche bond and loan programme worth around EUR 100m, for an innovative and growth Portuguese tech company.
- Advising the Government of the Republic of Angola in the procedures for the creation of a stock exchange and funds market in Angola.
- Advising an international investment bank in an EUR 4.7 billion Liability Management Exercise.
- Advising a Portuguese listed company in a cross-border merger and dual listing transaction.
Hague Academy of International Law, Diploma, 2004
Catholic University of Lisbon, Faculty of Law, law degree, 2003
Complutense University of Madrid, Programa Erasmus, 2002
- Distinguished by Best Lawyers 2020 in Corporate Law
- Recommended by Legal 500 in Projects & Project Finance and Insolvency & Restructuring
- Recognised as Next Generation Partner in Banking and Finance by Legal 500
Author of articles and chapters in specialized publications, including:
- Subida das Euribor fará disparar custo do financiamento, 2022
- Dores de cabeça para um intermediário de crédito?, 2018
- Getting The Deal Through M&A Portugal, 2017
- Portugal Mergers & Acquisitions 2017 – Getting the Deal Through
- Treasury Shares Guide 2012-2014 of Corporate and M&A Law Committee from IBA
- IBA Guide 2016 - Board's role when facing a strategic transaction
- Speaker at DD Talks webinar – Financing of Real Estate, July 2020
- Speaker at various events including CIS Wealth Conference, Moscow, 2016
- 2020 – present, Partner, DLA Piper ABBC (anteriormente designada ABBC)
- 2017 - 2020, Senior Associate, DLA Piper ABBC (previously ABBC)
- 2005 - 2017, Senior Associate, Iberian Law firm
- 2003 - 2005, Associate, Lisbon based Law firm
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted to the Portuguese Bar Association